1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too much power?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dinghy, Jun 5, 2007.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    When I play anything I would classify louder than 'quiet,' the other strings ring even when I don't hit them. Normally this isn't a problem, because the way I play I just keep my fingers on the strings constantly to mute them, but I want to try slapping and it's not working. Is this normal for all the other strings to ring when I only pluck one? If it's not, what am I doing wrong/how me fix it?

2. Milk eWay

Milk eWay

Nov 23, 2006
    IA
    muting is a problem every one encounters when he/she starts playing the bass.

The only way i know of to cut the ringing down when slapping (and trust me, i dont know a lot) is to use spare fingers from your fretting hand to mute the strings your not using.

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    Jebus that's difficult. I don't think I want to slap anymore. And wouldn't it still vibrate since your fret hand is so far away from the pickup?

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It wouldn't vibrate because your finger dampens the string. The vibration gets transfered to where your fingers are very quickly, and your fingers stop it.

Check out some slapping videos on Youtube and see how they do it.

5. when you slap, try hovering your hand a little closer to the strings.

also, when i slap, the pinky side of my hand rests slightly on the strings

picture it like a see-saw.. hit with your thumb, and try to just relax and rest the pinky side of your hand on the strings. tensing up will cause you to mess up.

6. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    or be very accurate in ur slapping. it can be done with practise.

we all start out sloppy at first

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021