1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by songwriter21, Mar 9, 2008.

1. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    So I'm thinking of buying one of Carvin's BRX Neo 2x10 cabs, as they look pretty damned impressive. There's only one issue-my GK head does 700 watts at 4 ohms, and this cab handles 600. Would it be a bad idea to overpower it like this?

I know you can overpower guitar speakers a bit, but bass speakers already handle a lot of force as is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Is the cab rated at four ohms?

3. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Yes, it is.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You need to use your ears and not abuse your speakers if you don't want to replace / recone them. That is a cardinal rule... having extra power on tap isn't a bad thing. In my experience, running a rig at or near it's maximum ability is a great way to smell the smell of burning plastic... so to quote the Pirelli advert 'power without control is nothing'.

Personally I'd be looking at the Avatar 2x10 or 2x12 - nice cab's to pair with a GK, but that's just me ...

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    4Mal makes great points. Also, be aware that you can connect a 250,000 watt amplifier to a 10 watt speaker if you want. Just listen for distortion and other undesirable sounds. Besides, you will not be putting a constant 700 watt output to that cab. Your average may only be around 300 +/-. It just depends on your playing style and EQ settings.

6. Just remember the Carvin IS a 2x10. That configuration will only take you so far. I use 2x10s (Acme B2) but I always play with two. I have played with just one in tiny places but IMHO generally a pair is way better.

Paul

7. +1 I agree with this post word for word. I'd get a pair of Avatars, both at 8 ohms so they could share the load and put out all the volume you would need. Maybe a 410/210 set up or a 212/210 set up.

8. +1

9. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    high guys not meaning to hijack thread just question?

im getting a gk700rb-II head that kicks out 320w at 8 ohms, and 480 at 4 ohms, im gonna be getting a cab soon hopefully either gk,avatar or aguilar neo 212, and i just found 1 but its 8ohms? which is fine but if i want to use 2 cabs do they have to be both 4 or 8 ohms?

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    GK700RB-II: one 4 ohm cab, or one 8 ohm cab, or two 8 ohm cabs. NOT two 4 ohm cabs.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Its fine. The cab will work fine with your amp

12. SERPENT865

SERPENT865

Jan 1, 2007
    Wichita , KS
    It will be fine,but you might check out Avatar or Dr Bass cabs before you make a decision . Im not saying dont buy Carvin cabs though.(I use alot of Cavin stuff)

13. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    To put your mind at ease, I quite often rehears with a 1001RB-II into a 4 ohm Avatar 210 Neo. We get quite loud. As the others stated, listen for distortion and you will be fine.

14. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    thanks alot! for clearing that up

15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    last question i promise! if i add another cab? say a 112 or something to the 212 neo aggie will this make the rig louder? or just spread the 300w from the amp? i dnt really get the head to amp deal as im used to combos

16. It'll be louder. Firstly you've got more speaker area to produce sound - all things the same, an 8x10 has more speaker area than a 4x10 so it'll push more air. Secondly, using 2 8-ohm cabs means a total impedance of 4-ohms - so your head will push 400+ watts (rather than 300 with only 8-ohms).

17. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    you ar ea legend was there thinking it may fry my amp! thanks!

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Don't think of an amp as a full on/ full off switch. That 700 watt rating is only at extreme peaks for very short bursts. You'd probably have to be turned all the way up and digging into the strings hard to even approach that watt rating. Plus, all ratings are very subjective and there are no real rules for printing amp/speaker ratings

In other words, your speakers will more than likely be fine given normal playing conditions. It's actually better to have more headroom on the amp...distortion from your amp by not having enough power will ruin the speakers WAY faster than having a louder, clean signal.

19. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    Yes, this is what I was going to say. Having too little power available for a cabinet that can take more can be a bad situation if the amp is pushed into clipping while trying to supply enough power to the cab. That clipping signal then induces overloads and overheats the speaker windings.

When you have just a bit more wattage available than the cabinet's rating, then the amp will be comfortable running the cabinet at higher volume levels. An ideal combo.
    IOW - headroom is a good thing.

20. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Nope, not without damaging it. You are probably thinking about overdrive instead of overpower.