Too much power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Can I run my 610 hlf (600 watts rms @ 4 ohms 1200 watts peak) with my SVT 4 briged mono (1200 watts @ 4 ohms cont.) or is this too much power for the 610?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, most companies say it's ok when the amp has twice the rms power the cab can handle.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The "professional" way of running (PA) sound says you should have up to twice the power from your amp compared to the speaker rating, to give you the best sound. Just remember there is now little or no margin for error, you can overload the speakers if you turn the volume up too much. With a weaker amp you can't really do that, but on the other hand distortion from overloading a weaker amp can also hurt the speakers.
  4. It should work just fine.
  5. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks everyone. I hooked it up and it is working just fine. The cab has this incredible "rumble" to it now. So all I have to do is be careful not to turn up the volume too high, right?
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd say the speaker is safe, something else will go (ears, windows, apartment contract) way before you reach 600W continous... :D
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    jawzz: i had the same concern when i went amp/pre/cab.

i was tired of my old rig (eden) farting all over the place at high volumes due to lack of headroom.

now, i run 2400 watts into my 4 ohm bergantino 212 and 1500 watts into my bergantino 112.

now THAT'S tone.

just have to be sensible with the levels.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It'll work. Just don't dime it. if you're not getting enough volume at reasonable amp settings, add another cab.
  10. E X A C T L Y ! ! !
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed. Especially on the B string. Keep an eye on the speaker cone movement and an ear out for speakers complaining. This sounds easy but at the stage volumes we're talking about ( it sounds like you're in a loud band?) it may not be easy to hear.
  12. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Currently, I am not in a band, I m just figuring out all of the optoins that I have with my SVT IV so I know set up is possible at different gigs in the future. I was worried about the low "b", so I will be cautious when I do bridge the amp with this cab.:bassist: