1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too Much Power...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Okay, this is not a for sale ad. But there is 'sale'-oriented content...

My GK 1001RB-II is over the top. Just too blinking much power, and the thought of shaking that Ming Dynasty vase off the edge of the bar bothers me. I could look for a swap-downwards, to a 700RB-II, for example- but I could also go get an Acoustic 370 (that is available somewhere...) with the proceeds of a sale! I love those amps- I've had one of my best tones ever from that old cart. And through a very efficient 215 I'm figuring it would slay, and I'd use it to its potential, even outside without PA.

Am I wrong?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A 700 RB-II is still a great and powerful amp.

Maybe a 370 and something cheap like a used 400RB as a backup? Older Acoustics seem to flake out from time to time.....

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    No such thing as too much power. That's why amps have a volume knob. ;)

Now if you are going for a drastic drop in weight or a different sound/tone then that would make sense to change amps.
    At least IMO/IME and YMMV. :D

4. There is this thing call a "Volume knob"... If you find yourself playing to loud turn down?

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 too much power is not possible, unless you're a guitarist looking for a certain tone, at low volume.

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If the head is just crushing all the time, the trick is to reduce the frequencies that are too strong. On many of my gigs, my rig can get obnoxiusly loud - that's when I reach over to my EQ sliders and start reducing the frequencies. It's usually arond the 100-400hz zone where this is most prevalent. A reduction in the "strong zone" will get your bass tone more balanced, less crazy and give you more definition. Your volume will be in control now.

It's silly to get a less powerful amp.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have a few amps lower powered than the 1001. I'll trade you all of them for the vase......

8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Look, you guys are ruining it! I'm trying to get me that 370 that I can't otherwise afford!... but I do like my GK stuff. :cool:

I do think I won't notice less available power though; I may still look to trade down. Eh, I'm overdosing on Talkbass! Still, I appreciate the remarks. Even the mildly facetious one bringing my attention to the volume knob... :rolleyes:

Mm'kay.

A little more playing and a little less talk will probably do me some good.

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Will, I'll go look in on the vase.

10. just turn the amp down, it won’t hurt it and that’s what volume knobs are for

11. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    If you want the Acoustic 370, go get it. By all means, do what you want to do! I loved my 1001RB-II. I just don't need 700 watts and an 810 these days so I downsized a bit myself. ;)

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Seldom have I ever played a show and thought "I'm sad I brought this big amp", although, there have been times that I thought "I wish I had a bigger amp".

+1 on the turn it down and adjust your EQ. Its always better to have too much rig, rather than too little.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, back off on the bass knob and bring down the volume. I agree though, those amps are insanely loud! Best used with 2 4x10 cabs in an arena or auditorium setting. If you're doing bars and clubs, I'd suggest downsizing to the 700RB-II.

14. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    If the OP turns his amp down, won't he be underpowering his speakers and risk damaging them? :D

Sorry. It hadn't been brought up for while and I just couldn't resist.
    :bag:

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    LMAO!
    I forgot all about that one. :D

Well Count, you heard it here. Sell the 1001 & buy the 370 (and maybe a used MB500 to keep some GK growl in the stable?) to protect your speakers. ;) End of problem. Oh and how is the vase holding up? :p :)

16. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I think this thread deserved that. :p

I know, turn down. But. That's spending too much time tiptoeing around my volume knob, and I don't like to do that. Might seem a funny issue, and maybe it is. But back that far on the volume curve it seems hard to judge it from room to room. I hear the reasoning on power in reserve, but I just don't see it as being much of an advantage, generally.

The 370 is a serious step down in efficiency, but boy has that amp ever sounded good...that one may be debatable, but I think I'll be looking to trade down one way or the other.

I also have a nice line on an MB500, and have played it on a few gigs. Got raves from band mates, and the little booger packed enough boot to make my head swim until I got it dialed in. Serious lows in that small box... very dub-ready.

17. I was in a similar situation as you a few weeks ago, and to be honest, I never had a problem. Especially with my active basses. Just use the -14db pad and the volume/woofer/boost... It can easily work well with any application.. The whole myth that the 700RB is warmer is false (IMO of course)

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I heard no discernible to me diff in the 700RBII compared to the 1001RBII.
    I had both, just for the reason you mention there BassSurfer...

The MBFusion sure is nice and small.

And, nice, and, small.

19. Exactly Chef,

As you said in your for sale thread, they are interchangeable!

20. I use my PLX-3002 for bass, keyboards, and 1 watt testing.
    The PLX looks pretty funny with a Speakon cable hooked to a single S2010 or Alpha 6.
    :D

If you have a nice rig that is bug free (and paid for) it seems pointless to dump it over GAS.