Too much stress on the neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Since the low B on my bass sounds like crap, I decided to try and tune it up to an E and experiment having two E's.

Do you think that much of a high tuning would be too much stress on the neck?
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I wouldn't do it. Instead of tuning a B up to E, why not just use two E-strings.

3. Two E strings.:meh:

Why not just tune it,

That will not stress your neck and you have the C to work more patterns with!

4. Because I have to go out and buy a nut and get it carved.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not if you just tuned your current strings up.
  6. Us a low tension set of string, maybe even lighter guage strings. You wouldn't need to bother with a new nut at all.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Tuning strings up that far doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.
  8. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I had a '73 Fender Jazz Bass I tried something like that with. Big Mistake (tm)! Permanently warped the neck.

I got what I've heard referred to as an "s-shaped" warp in the neck, where the neck meets the body.

Bad mojo...
  9. Why?

If you use low tension string there will be no problems. I do it with my Fender 5 all the time!

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Here's some interesting reading from another thread:
    When tuning up as you suggested you are increasing the core size of every single string (E has B core size, A has E core size, etc.).
    Since I don't believe it to be a good idea, obviously I've never tried it, but I can't believe, that in the long run, that much tension could be good for the neck. Besides bowing the neck, you run the risk of twisting it also since there would be more tension on the C side of the neck (these problems would probably be even more so on a lesser quality instrument).
    The instrument would be harder to play and more prone to string breakage.
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  12. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    So, what strings can you use to tune the bass E-A-D-G-C. What is the tuning of six-string basses? Could you use a set of 6 strings? If so, which 5 would you use?
  13. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Six-string is tuned BEADGC. Buy a six-string set and throw out the low-B (largest) string.
  14. Thank you for the info.:D