1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

too much sustain

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bassedsouth, Nov 19, 2018.

1. I need suggestions on string choice for a particular 3/4 carved bass of mine . It's always been my main player and is a very responsive instrument with endless sustain .....which is my issue!

At times the bass sounds too much like a electric fretless to my ears , the notes don't decay quickly enough and seem to go on forever. I do understand how some players would see this as positive attribute to an instrument though.
    I have spiro weichs on the bass which are great feeling strings and are decent under the bow , but for pizz they just feel too responsive if that makes any sense at all.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Do you play mostly arco or pizz? You could try these from bright to dark:

Spiro weich/medium

Obligates

Evah Pirazzi

Guts

I would suggest evahs if you want a darker string.

3. I was toying with the idea of Evahs - I haven’t tried them yet . What would you say is the defining difference between Evahs and Spiros ? I play mostly pizz

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Evah Weichs feel similar to Spirocore Mittels but maybe just a tad softer. The decay is faster. They are meatier than the Spirocore weichs.

5. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Less sustain more thump. The E string on both Evah sets are less tension than the other strings. Some like it some don’t. The weich strings are similar to medium spiros. I would prefer a weich ADG and a medium E though I’ve only tried it on one bass.

6. The Evahs are worth a try I think.

Guys , when you say ‘similar to Spiro mittels are you referring more to sound or to feel ?

7. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Tension mainly. Evah mediums are very high tension strings. Similar to Spirocore heavy strings. Evah Weich feel closer to medium spirocores in tension except for the E

9. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    I haven`t tried Innovation Polychromes but from what I`ve read here they might have the qualities you`re after.

bassedsouth and DoubleMIDI like this.
  10. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    If you want to try a metal core string Pirastro Flexocore Deluxe or Thomastik Superflexibles could be worth a try

bassedsouth and DoubleMIDI like this.
  11. Innovation Braided have a better tension relation between the strings than Evah Weich but are similar in sound and feel.
    The E and A might need some bending to get them more flexible.
    The Polychomes are a bit lower tension than the Braided/Evah Weich but should work if you like that. I have the higher tension (like Braided) prototypes and like them a lot.

bassedsouth and Sam Dingle like this.
  12. What characteristics do the super flexibles have in comparison to spiros ?

13. Sean Riddle

Sean Riddle Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Ventura, California
    I played a well broken in set of superflexibles on a bass I borrowed while traveling in August and found them to have a darker pizz tone and shorter decay compared to spiros. There is still growl in the initial attack, but not a Spiro growl. Plus they are really easy to bow. They are similar to Evahs in that their pizz tone is more meatier, but I did find them to have more presence and dynamic range compared to Evahs.

bassedsouth likes this.
  14. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    IIRC, the supers feel a bit stiffer than Spiros of the same gauge. They aren’t terribly superflexible. They sound similar to Spirocores but darker. I prefer the Evahs.

bassedsouth likes this.
  15. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    For ***** and gigs, also try just raising your current Spiro set a little bit and see if you like it.

bassedsouth likes this.
  16. Done - and yes it definitely takes away some of the issue I have - I will definitely be experimenting with some of the strings suggested in this thread .... with a slightly higher action. I forgot about the ‘thump’ that can be pulled out of a bass with a slightly higher action

Seanto likes this.
  17. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Sounds good. Save that Spiro set in case you ever want to come back to it. How old is the set by the way?

Seanto likes this.
  19. Sam Dingle

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I would say stick to spiros and kill them. They get better with age

bassedsouth likes this.

20. Seems to be that way !!!