1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too Much to drink technical difficulties

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Feb 26, 2008.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Ever have a little too much, and then pull some dumb ass moves and blame your gear.....only to find it wasn't really a problem with your gear?

I used to throw on my tuner pedal to mute during a long guitar/vocal intro in a paticular song in a band I was in years ago. I would usually light up a smoke and stand off towards my side while the guitar player/singer kinda did his thing. One night when I was half in the bag and that big crashing moment comes were the whole band kicks in.......um.....why is there no sound coming out of my amp :confused:

Finally after checking everything other than the pedal I noticed the meter bouncing all over the place on the thing. I kicked it back on.....then played with the connection on my head hoping no one would no the difference.......:scowl:

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Haha. I did that once. I was acting like my usual mutant dufus self and popped the tuner mute. Since there was 20 seconds left in the gig, I did an Ashlee Simpson jig while ripping my brand new strings off my bass. It felt great, but looks stupid on video.

I have had a few "too drunk" moments lately. Mostly when I show up at 7 to load in and don't go on 'til 12...Suckage. I played 2 shows totally sober and felt way better about myself afterwards. I'm still learning that whole moderation thing...

3. I can remember being in a session with a keyboardist friend of mine practicing a song. Now I'd been at a fancy lunch meeting most of the early afternoon and had been drinking a LOT of red wine.
    So I come into the session more than slightly drunk. I set up fairly quickly despite this and began to play. I got no sound out of my amp at all so I switched off the amp, turned it back on and tried again.

This went on for ten minutes until I realised that I'd knocked off the volume switch of my bass.

4. Well, when i broke up with my last missus we had a show that night at a pretty large venue in front of a lot of people. I was a mess so i decided to drink my sorrows away. I ended up throwing up twice before we wnet on stage and then three times when we finished the set. I will never do that again..........lol, until last week when i showed up to a day show hungover and wondering whether i was gonna poo myself or throw up first. I ended up throwing up which was quite terrible as it smelt like scotch and there was a lot of people looking at me like i was some sort of junkie. Not reccomended for anybody.

5. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    a real man never blames his gear. a drunk man might, but thats because, well, he's drunk. And easily confusable.

A few years back when I still played the drums a good bit, I had a typical bar band covers gig at a dumpy little place in my hometown. Probably did the gig 10 or 15 times, never had more than 25 or 30 people. The bar had a bad rep, for some reason. I only saw one fight in 10-15 gigs, so I didnt get it. Anyways, I was underage at the time and they were strict enforcers, so I would get a little bottle of JD and keep it behind my kick drum and pour it into my soda as the night went on. One night, definitely too much. I FORGOT HOW TO PLAY THE INTRO TO WHITE ROOM !!!!! ***??!?? I totally forgot the tom part, I just kind of sat there looking confused and kept time with my hi hat foot trying to figure out what I was doing. Pretty sad moment.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Shoot, I can do that without drinking at all. When I took my new Glockenklang rig to my current band's first gig, we played a set, then went on a break. When we got off break we came back and couldn't get a sound out of my rig. I tried everything, and no sound. Well, almost everything. Fortunately, I had the good sense to bring along my Walter Woods as a backup, and I hooked it up and played the rest of the gig in a pretty bad mood ... my brand new head was on the fritz. So after the gig was over, I plugged the Glock back in and noticed that the tune (mute) button was pushed in. I disengaged it and everything worked fine. So I was pissed off and happy at the same time, no booze involved.