Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

too new to groove yet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rickenbacker7, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    Hi,
    I have been a member here for over a year but I am now actually going to learn to play bass myself. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. :hyper: My friend is giving me his Schecter, and I am looking for a little practice amp.
    ANyway, just wondered which forum is best for posting really newbie questions so I won't get yelled at. I play flute and used to play drums, so I am not new to music per se.
    my friend (ex-lover) is a member here and a fab bass player who just won't believe how good he is. ANyway, I can't wait to get my own rig and start playing. I played some riff's at the local music store and it was such a holy rush!!
    ok thanks and please point me to the correct place to be. :bassist: :D thanks
    Jana aka Rickenbacker7

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: congrats! Bass is a rush! Enjoy it!

as far as where to ask.... rig questions are best asked in "Amps". Technique in "General Instruction".... when in doubt and it's music related.... "Misc".

:bassist:

3. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    Thanks for the tips! Any good books you can recommend for newbies while we're at it?
    :smug:
    thanks again,

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I dig all the stuff Ed has put out

http://www.edfriedland.com/

He's a great player, great teacher and a really nice guy (he hangs around the bass forums of the net some).

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, to be entirely fair, technique questions should probably be put in the "Technique" forum. General Instruction is for things like theory, reading music, instructional materials, Aebersold books, etc.

Have a blast dude, it's a great thing to take up.

6. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Welcome to the board. :)

Another hockey fan I see. The strike has really killed a lot of my seasonal fun since I attend Kings' games regularly but my bass playing is getting better since I spend more time practicing without the games to distract me. :meh:

Not many hockey fans here in L.A. so it seems like an oddity when you find one. If you're near Los Angeles and are interested in jamming sometime, let me know.

7. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    OOOOOOOOO I hate to disappoint you guys, but I am a WOMAN not a dude!! Hope that doesn't black-ball me right off. And to make it worse, I am not a young one, I am a young, hot 40 + one. :D
    Yea I am bummed to no end about the hockey season, :meh: glad to hear your playing is revved because of it. I am closer to Sharks country, but was born in LA. I live in a small town in the Sierras so the closest game was 3 hours away- but hey- we are getting a AHL team in Stockton!!
    Thanks again for the tips. I have been to the "techniques" forum already and looked around.
    see yassssssss
    :p

8. welcome, Jana! you have come to the right place (as you know if you've been around for a year) for getting bass tips!

:cool:

from the lows,

Stew

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So who was your ex? Was it Stew? Since he seems to know your name :ninja:

Welcome btw :)

10. reread the last line in post #1...
    :eyebrow:

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Whoops, sorry for that.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    HA! :p

13. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    :D Hehehehe I am not telling you who is is, he was a semi- regular in here but he hasn't been in since August of last year according to his profile.. ya my name is in my profile I think but I prob signed a post somewhere with it.
    I never told him I was registered here cuz he might've thought that was weird or stalking him or something.. he gets a bit suspicious of others at times.
    I just love the bass and bass music, the whole low end, sooooo much that I decided it was time for me to stop lurking and step up to the plate- or the mic!
    When I get out of school at the end of the month I am going to get me that little practice amp and the Schecter he said I could have and start on it. :cool:
    He won't help me learn though and he won't tell me why.
    sighs.. otherwise we get along ok as friends.. :( this is him >>> :bag: all the time.
    ANYWAY.. on to happier things!!!
    LET'S ROCK!!!

and no, I don't know Stew-- but why would you move BACK to LA? eck, I was raised there!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :spit: Red Wings suck...:spit:

;)

15. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Would have said the same but I was trying to be nice. :)

16. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    I didn't tell anyone in here to LIKE the Red Wings--!! Just because I do is no reason to flame me eh?
    I LOVE HOCKEY!! Period!!! :D
    ALL of hockeydom rocks, except maybe the Hurricaines and the other wimpy explansion teams..ehehehee :spit: :spit:
    so take that and eat my puck! :) ;)
    j/k

17. well, it's a long story that I'll save for another time. the short version is that my wife is ready to leave New Orleans and I'm not willing to move to NYC. plus we both have friends here. I'm hoping to get some work as a player, do some teaching, and possibly start studying with some of my favorite players, too.

if I start gigging around L.A. I'll let you know and you cab come see my huge silly basses!

:rollno: :scowl:

fom the lows,

Stew

18. Rickenbacker7

Rickenbacker7

Jan 17, 2003
    California
    Well I would love to Stew, but I live 600 miles north of LA.
    I am in a small town in the Sierras.
    have a great time there though, and don't breathe too deeply. :rollno:
    cheers!! :D

19. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    The lungs adjust after awhile. :D

20. well, I'm hoping to start a tour this fall up north. I'll keep you up on the dates when and if they come together!

:bassist: