1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too old to play in the band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Steve S, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I started playing with my current group in 2000. We used to gig every weekend but have cut it down to about two per month. As time has gone on, I've often thought about the fact that I'm older than the other guys and I'll probably have to hang up my bass much earlier than them.

We were discussing the song "You Really Got Me," and I told the guys that I saw the Kinks play it in 1965. None of them knew that the Kinks recorded it before Van Halen. The guitar player was 3, the second guitar player was 2 and the drummer was 5 when I was in high school.

All of them are great musicians and it's been fun playing with them but sometimes during conversation, I kind of lose them when talking about "old" history.

I don't know too many guys who are my age and still playing music in bars.

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    You're never "too old" to play anywhere as long as you're capable of enjoying it. So if you're enjoying it, then keep groovin' brother and don't worry about it!

3. JackBruceFan

JackBruceFan

Apr 29, 2012
    Opinion from an old bass player.... as long as you're having fun...keep on rocking...We're all dead a long time...Enjoy life while ya can.. Rock on.

4. gearhead1972

gearhead1972

Feb 21, 2012
    Kent NY
    They don't take pride in their craft then. The history of music or at least the history of your favorite genre is just as important as playing the instrument itself, well in my opinion anyway. I was born in '72 and sure as hell know The Kinks recorded that first and Ray Davies wrote it. I have a big advantage over most people I meet when it come to music though. I am the youngest of 4 boys the 2 oldest being 20 and 18 years my senior. So I grew up with this stuff.

5. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

61-years old and still rocking.

6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    +1

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i just spent the last 12mo gigging with a bunch of 23yr olds. we had a blast, but due to schedule conflicts i am on an extended hiatus. these youngun's can't wait for my return, but i may just kick-it with my ol' band (when i get back),... the one where we are all 50-something, lol. :D

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    :scowl::scowl::scowl:

also, I've moved this to Band Management.

9. Maraki

Maraki

May 2, 2012
    More often than not, it's the exact opposite of your situation for me. I'm still slightly wet behind the ears at 20 haha, and I haven't been in any real bands where I was anything but the youngest musician, excluding high/middle school orchestras and whatnot.

One bar band was me (19 at the time) and three 45-65 other dudes.

Another project band is lead by a 40-something guitarist, involves a drum circle of more 40 year old, a slightly younger, maybe 30 years old drummer and rhythm guitarist, and a horn section in their mid 20s.

Another band I'm in is all 35 to 45, except me.

Now, granted, these guys aren't really *old*, but they are older than me, haha. Also, just for your information, I live in mid-Florida, where people come to die or escape the cold.

10. Cycho

Cycho

Nov 30, 2010
    Did they know Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings? I'm 66 and will continue to play as long as I can lug my gear.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Miles was older than all the cats in his later bands, it doesn't matter.

12. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Agreed. It doesn't matter.

Cheers!

MJW

13. praisebass

praisebass

Aug 20, 2009
    Missouri
  14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I am 44. My drummer is 46. gui**** is 31. We play current hard rock/alt and 90s stuff. No plans on stopping any time soon.

15. NooN3000

NooN3000

Feb 22, 2013
    Keep on rocking man!!

16. Schpector

Schpector

Jan 31, 2012
    Macon, GA
    I would like to introduce you to this little band called The Rolling Stones.

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I'm 65 and still gigging. I even have heart disease and just found out I have leukemia, but I'm still gigging with two bands. I don't think you are ever to old unless you are physically unable.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    No.
    As long as YOU enjoy it, keep doing it.
    My Dad gave me a bass in 1965 when I was 10 and it's been following me around since.
    Doing more shows at 57 years old than I did in my early 30's AND with a full time engineering career.

19. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    You're certainly not too old to play and gig. I have a really summarized story I'd like to share.

Went to a show, band comes up, saw a 70 year old drummer, and that guy was the most entertaining part of the show. They played on his age, and even gave the guy 2 drum solos. The crowd was loving it, and so was I. This cat was FAST, and really grooving.

It reminded me of one of the Star Wars movies where Yoda comes limping in on a cane, and before you know it he was doing all kinds of flips and fighting the bad guy. It's a cool thing to watch.

My advice is to try aging more, and start standing out some. Nothing too flashy, but getting the job done in style. The crowd will love it.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're younger than me, and I have no plans to hang it up any time soon.