Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too old to rock?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by whatsinaname, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Too old to rock?

I’m 45 and play in a classic / alt rock cover band.
    How ridiculous is it for “old farts” to be rockin’ out?
    How many of you are in the league of older gentlemen and
    are beginning to question your ability to relate to the crowd?
    How about you younger players…what do you think when you see a group of fossils still crankin’ it up and layin’ it down?

Is it time to start a blues band?

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I'm 46 and wondered the same thing when I first took up bass....at 45! :D I was formerly a guitar wanker. I'm in a classic rock band, a church praise band, and am probably going to join another classic rock jam band here in a couple of weeks. You're only too old when you can't support the weight of the bass anymore. I went to see a bluegrass band a couple of months ago called the WBT Briarhoppers and their bassplayer playing a vintage Gibson with a groove as smooth as melting butter was....94! That means he had almost 50 years on us and was still laying it down. Rock on bro!

That's the 94 years young bassplayer on the right!
    [​IMG]

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'll be 40 next year. I can still rock and yell and stuff but my knees get sore after rocking for three sets.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Let me ask me mates - Keef and Mick.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    45 is pushing it for rock and roll but it's not 100% out of the question. Ed Cassidy of Spirit is still going strong in his 70s!!!

It's definitely easier if you can look the part...i.e. stay skinny, shave your head or dye your hair.

I bailed from the rock scene a few years ago years ago and now play only folk, blues and jazz where I actually get some respect for being an elder.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't think it's ever too late, so long as YOU are enjoying it.

7. Yeah, I know about Mick and Keith, Ed Cassidy too...
    those guys and guys like them are legends and will always be respected. I'm just a working Schemp who enjoys playing in a rock band. My name and "legend" will never be used in the same sentence. I'm just been feeling a little anachronistic lately and wondering how do you know when it is time to move on? Like Brianrost stated..at least in a blues setting you actually are respected more as you age at least as long as you can still play regardless if you carry an extra set of teeth in your gig bag and your grandson has to carry your amp for you.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The guys whom I've played with/play with, like having me for several reasons;

> I stay fit, while many bassists in this area in their 20's are fat slobs
    > My hair is full and honey brown while some bassists here in their 30's are already balding
    > I have the wherewithall to afford better than average gear
    > I have more connections than someone who is "green" in the biz
    > I've had more years to get my techniques and tones perfected. Having John Entwistle as a major influence as opposed to someone like Sam Rivers makes a great difference.
    > I've been exposed and have played many types of music and bring those influences into my playing
    > I've been through the drugs, the booze, the women.........they "don't work!"

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

The saddest thing, IMO, is a player in their 40's/50's/60's trying to live the lifestyle of a rookie in their early 20's.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It shouldn't be a given that as one ages...you mellow.
    I'm thinking Miles, Coltrane, Sam Rivers ;)
    Sam Rivers the saxophonist, in his 70s, still "Out" there!
    These guys' muisc got more edgy/noizy as they got older(OK, 'Trane died at 40...hopefully, my point has been made).

10. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    As long as you're in tune and in time,I don't care if you're 350. -Luke :D

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    My old english teacher was pushing 60, and he still broke out his guitar with his bands on weekends and put on a great show. As long as you still have the desire to be going hard, "just giv'er!" ;)

Travis

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I know a bunch of 40-somethings that get out there and play White Zombie and Godsmack right behind Thin Lizzy. They are fantastic players and are obviously having a great time doing it. (okay, their singer is stuck in 1987 and dresses and dances accordingly)

I guess you're only too old to rock, when you just don't *wanna* rock anymore.

13. my God! that sounds like my band. (except we are in Detroit)
    I feel better knowing there are others out there. I'll keep playin' as long as the gigs keep payin' and the crowd isn't laughing AT us. After that, when I'm too old to rock and roll but too young to die I think I'll settle into a blues band and play until they carry me out in a box. I have way too much time, energy and money invested to quit on my own.
    Rock On!!!!!!!

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Agreed. When I saw that in my 20's I told myself that growing up and getting old is not a bad thing.

15. rickbass

Jim - As horrid as this may seem, I was talking about "Sam Rivers" the B-btring addict, (not "bassist"), for Limp Bizkit........not the Sam Rivers who was a full-on musician.

16. BillOnBass

BillOnBass

Dec 30, 2003
    Las Vegas NV
    I'm 50 years old (just shoot me please) and still playing in rock bands. I question why I still do it at times. It's not that easy to put a project together anymore and keep everybody's head in the same direction. Everybody has lives now. It used to be so easy when I was younger.

Luckly I still have hair, am not fat and still somewhat look the part, but... My ears never stop ringing anymore, I have to drive all over hell and back for rehearsals and gigs, after four sets my back is killing me, the clubs don't want to pay much and I still have to hump gear and then get home dead dog tired long after I should have been asleep.

But I will be playing until the day I fall over because I simply love playing my basses and life would be boring otherwise. So as long as there are people that still want to play and gigs to perform I will be there holding down the bottom end.

17. rickbass

I sympathize completely, Bill. I, too, have tinnitus and hearing loss in my right ear because I used to use feedback on several songs in the 70's. Plus, playing at Boeing 727 takeoff-decibel levels didn't help either.

The back thing ??? Oh Lawdy, those refrigerator amps we used to haul around!!!! My slipped disk and spinal bone spurs are so glad that stack components with casters finally became part of bass amplification.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick-
    I knew exactly who you were talking about. ;)
    (Couldn't resist).

BTW, I've watched that Alanis thing on SNL a few times now; I'm convinced it's Chris Chaney(w/ the sheep dog haircut) on bass...I'm thinking it's the same core band on Infatuation Junkie.

Pardon the interuption...back on topic-

19. BillOnBass

BillOnBass

Dec 30, 2003
    Las Vegas NV
    Reply to Rickbass

In 1994 I was using a small Randall amp with a 15" that had served me well for a number of years (I had gotten over the louder is better) when I hooked up with some younger metal players. They had the Marshall stacks and still thought louder was better. After a week or so when they wouldn't turn down I broke out my big guns that had sat in my shed for years, a JBL PA Bass Bin with two 15" JBL's front loaded and the bottom a big scoop, powered with an Ampeg V4 head (that thing moves some current). I rolled it in and said "You guy's want to play volume wars? Lets play." About five months later they told me we were too loud, "It's about time you guys figured that out" I said, but in those five months my ears were damaged. My old Monster amp still sits in my shed to this day waiting for another batch of youngsters that think louder is better, but next time I will use ear plugs, or better yet, gun muffs.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im 18 and I dont consider myself too old to rock. :D

Seriously though, if you dont feel too old, then you arent. Its a great way to get the adrenaline pumping and relieve stress.

Ill bet that if you stop rockin you'll start feeling too old really quick.

Peace
    Nick