Too pointy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever grown up loving pointy basses, like Cirruses, some of the yamahas and ibanezs, and things like the vampyre? Then suddenly your fave bassist turns out playing the most curvey bass ever and your tastes change? It happened to me, and I'm starting to worry if I'm really fickle, or just normal. Help me fellow bassists! :help:
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Does it sound good?

I think this should be your main concern.
  3. Well, I spose I did turn to warwicks because I read Mike Kroeger used warwicks, and i loved his sound....I just had to get used to the looks though......
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You're really really fickle. Stop wasting time thinking about your equipment and concentrate on understanding music.
  5. best post ever.
  6. I don't wanna be it normal to like the bass your hero uses, that's what I'm asking? And my msuical knowledge is pretty good actually now I've had my mind bass lessons are coming back soon, and i can;t wait!
  7. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I hear the more pointy a Bass is the faster it plays...

8. Who is your favorite bassist?
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd have to say looks are the most important reason for buying a bass. I can't imagine somebody like BB King playing a pointy guitar with skulls painted on it, no matter how good the g**tar is.

As far as being fickle, that's the nature of the beast. Heck, this entire board is dedicated to drooling over gear. If you like a bass just because somebody else does, well, that's ok. Just make sure you play it first before you drop your cash.
  10. screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
  11. Well, I love the way a StingRay 5 sounds in the hands of my favorite bassist (Mr. Tony Levin), but I don't really like the way it sounds in my hands. I prefer Spectors and Fenders.

Try to find your own way, your own voice. Too many kids strive to sound like Flea or Les Claypool or whoever is the bass flavor of the month, and that's a sad thing, both for said kids, and for the future of music.
  12. Well my fave bass tone ever is on Never Again, so it was Mike Kroeger...still is i suppose, but Flea is also very previous fave bassist also used a stingray, and i loved jazzes, stingrays, and I find them all boring... is that normal to liek things that are a little different?(as you can tell, I'm not too secure, as my tastes change all the time :crying: )
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Just stick with what you got, which is way more than alot of us here, and strive to find your own sound and personality. Don't think "What would Mike Kroeger do here?", think "What can I do here?" Do you want to be Nick the kick-arse bass player or Nick the Mike Kroeger clone?

And lastly, who gives a poo how curvy a bass is. Looks mean nothing. Maybe wiping the board clean and getting a passive P or J to find your own voice would be a good idea. Me thinks so.
  14. unless things have changed relatively recently, i'm positive mike kroeger plays spectors. why don't you go out and buy some excellent peavey amplification to go along with it, so you can further your pursuit of his sound? ;)

15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Hell Yeah, BB rocks ! Metal Up your ass for sure ! :D
  16. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    screwball = teh funny. :D :D :D
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, you could get curvy AND pointy -

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I try to get my own sounds, but that's my personal preference. I'm sure I sound just like someone else, and not overly unique. With all the bassists out there it's impossible not to sound like someone else. But don't strive to be just another Mike or Flea... be an individual, just like everyone else.
  19. Hmmm, but to be invidual, do you have to make yourself like certain things? And Mike Kroeger plays spectors now, but he used to use warwick, back in the day when his bass growled.
  20. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You have funny questions.

Like what you want.