1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too rare to mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dBChad, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Too rare, leave it stock

40 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Sounds pretty cool, go for it (and post pics)

48 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Carrots

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    That just seems like a massive hassle for a limited improvement

Templar, gebass6 and ajkula66 like this.
  2. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    It's a Peavey. Go nuts. It'll never be more than a niche collector's item anyway.

If it was a bone-stock mint condition '64 Precision, that would be a different story.

Chrisk-K likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, that ship has sailed.

I wonder who he will endorse next week?

4. Msmith

Msmith

Aug 23, 2012
    If your planning to keep it and use it make it work for you and don't worry about it.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Regretted it because it killed the tone or the resale value of the bass?[/QUOTE]

Both actually, ultimately the Badass bridge didn’t sound as good as the original and it made the action stiffer and as a result the bass didn’t play as easily.

6. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    “Weight-relieved”

mikewalker and jd56hawk like this.
  7. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification
    @OP: I had been thinking about a 6 string maple fretboard as well (missing the busted Marleaux i stupidly traded for a Stingray) , and if I were really hellbent on a maple fb, I'd put together or find a secondhand Warmoth Gecko.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. To further this point:

I play two identical USA Cirrus fivers. I am a fan of maple boards too, and these just coincidentally both have maple boards (the Peacock Blue and Ruby Red finishes). I thought to myself what a bonus that these great playing sounding beautiful basses also have maple boards.

But then I met a bass player who also plays Cirrus fivers, but both of his have some kind of darkwood boards (I think one is Pau and the other Rosewood, but I'm guessing). At any rate, they are not maple boards. And the feel, playability, and especially the tone are every bit as good as my two Cirrus (Cirri?).

If it's an aesthetic concern that has you focused on maple boards, then you only have one choice, and that's to hold out for a maple board (though I would not do that mod to a Peavey TL-6, just my 2 cents). But if this is tone/feel related, I can almost assure you it is not going to make much of a difference. The electronics on these basses really do take over. Though I am one of those loons who can sometimes hear tonal differences between maple and other board woods on passive basses, I obviously can not on these sooped up Peaveys.

dBChad and Clark Dark like this.
  9. Yes, do it, if:
    - You have absolutely no care for the resale value of the bass and never will sell it.
    - If the fretboard material makes that much of a difference to you.
    - If you are ok risking messing up the removal of the old fretboard and damaging the neck beyond reasonable repair.

No, do not do it, if:
    - You ever will want to sell it for any reason.
    - You’re not 100% confident in your woodworking abilities. That fretboard might be more than just glued on like a standard Fender. Are the graphite rods channeled in to the fretboard too? How thick is the fretboard?
    - You forgot that a pre-slotted fretboard would still need to be shaped to fit your actual neck dimensions and need to radius sanded as well.

Honestly, it sounds like a whole ton of work, all at risk of destroying the neck. If you’re ok with that possible outcome and you don’t mind throwing a bunch of time and money at it only to have a bass that has to go in the garbage, then go for it. The world needs innovators and risk takers.

dBChad and ajkula66 like this.
  10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    If you have a bass that’s rare, vintage or whatever just do mods that are reversible that way you can always make it back to original for resale or whatever...

11. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    are you buying it to play for yourself to keep or does real estate for possible later sale factor into your decision making?

do you worry a lot what your peers think or do you just do for yourself as you see fit?

answering those questions will get you toward your overall dilemma answer

12. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    We often conflate rarity with value. Whereas there is always some correlation between supply and demand, I doubt that a Peavey bass is ever going to be something upon which to retire . . . but I've been wrong before. Just ask the '64 J bass I had refinished when I bought it in the early 80's.:thumbsup:

mikewalker and Chrisk-K like this.
  13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    If you can't mod it, you don't own it, it owns you.

gln1955, dBChad, ELG60 and 3 others like this.
  14. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i am extremely skeptical of even professionally done fingerboard replacements.

so are most informed people i think. I'm not at all saying that none of us have ever seen a beautifully done job, i'm just sayin that nobody will take that thing off your hands if you do that mod.

its not too rare to mod, but it is too good of a bass to risk ruining!

15. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I like this answer. Quoting for emphasis.

gln1955 and dBChad like this.
  16. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Rare things are not necessarily collectible or valuable. The Peavey falls into this category. Mod it to your liking.

17. I say buy it, play it and after serious consideration if you still want the maple board, it is your bass go for it. But be prepared to write off the re-sale value of the bass and additions.

I have had a TL6 that is my only rarely played six string bass, it is very nice and for the occasions a six string bass is needed it does an outstanding job. I bought it super cheap and do not plan to sell unless i have to.

dBChad likes this.
  18. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    The Talkbass effect is real!

dBChad and mikewalker like this.
  19. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    I would consider a replacement neck.

20. Geri O