1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too rare to mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dBChad, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Too rare, leave it stock

40 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Sounds pretty cool, go for it (and post pics)

48 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Carrots

24 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    My fault. I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.

Geri O likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    There's a BTB676 for sale on Reverb.
    $600.00
    Ibanez BTB 676-M Maple Natural Finish | Joey's Gear Bazaar

I suggested this to the OP a few days ago,but he did not take it up.
    BTB.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  4. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I did not post the BTB to the op just now.
    Post #62 is directed to theretheyare.

I posted the BTB to the OP a couple of days ago.
    He did not choose it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. I'd leave it if there no reason to make changes...however you do what you want.

6. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yeah, as cool as that BTB is, the TL-6 just resonated with me a little more. That BTB is beautiful and I appreciate the suggestion. Sometimes, when you look for what you want for a long time, you just know when you see it.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. I wouldn't mod it.
    Not as concerned about the "rarity" of the instrument, but the fact that you'd be performing major surgery, just to alter the look. The bass you end up with, may not be the bass you originally got (different feel, different sound, different balance...)
    Get a bass with the maple fingerboard and send it for a refin.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Great find. The TL-6 was the first 6er I fawned over when it came out.

If it were me I would not do any irreversible mod to any decent bass. If you are talking about dropping in a new PUP, new preamp or both, as long as no drilling, routing, etc. is required then go for it. But for goodness sake, keep the original parts. Anyone looking for something as obscure as this (myself included) is likely wanting it stock.

dBChad likes this.
  9. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Here’s my take on it. If you decide it’s an investment instrument, close it in the case and stand it up in the back of the closet until it makes you wealthy. If you want to play it, get another and use that. If a mod of the second one is indicated, do it. That’ll make the one in the closet rarer and more valuable in the future. OTOH how likely is it that that instrument will become a treasure? My estimate verges on nil.
    YMMV

10. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    WHAT???

A Peavey TL-6???

Oh yeah. I'd mod the hell out of that!

dBChad likes this.
  11. Lardass5000

Lardass5000 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kentucky
    I might even buy two of those....

....just in case I trashed the first one trying to mod it.

12. Na dont do it, i like peavey Basses as well i got a peavey T40 and a T45 trust me whatever these thngs had on from the factory is better then whatever other work 1 man can do that seems like a solid bass why would someone want to do a thing like that? after a few years the value will go down just because someone decided to put a maple fingerboard which the quality of work is yet to be discovered, but honestly i wount risk it, i would go to a custom build shop and ask them to build me a 6 string bass if youre so inclined, or hell put the T6l for sale im sure theres a lot of people here including myself that wil ltake proper care of it

13. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm gonna leave this one alone and just play it. I have two 5 strings, one of which I bought as a project. It makes much more sense to mod a project bass than to put a solid player under the knife unsure of when I'll have time to complete it or if I'll like how it turns out.

This thread achieved 2 things for me: final push to buy something off my GAS list, and talking some sense into me to enjoy it for the great bass it is.

LBS-bass and Geri O like this.

14. The peavey T40 once a bass that could be bought here in canada for just a few bucks around $200-$300 now worth over $900 ever since 2018 hit ive seen Peavey T40s selling for incredible prices and all of them have been snatched up, so the idea that its a peavey it will never be worth something, youre dead wrong, these Peavey T40s will rise up in value till its about even on a $2,000 scale maybe not now but in the future these will be the next 70's P bass market value
    Peavey T-40 Bass Guitar 1979 Natural Made In USA 70s Vintage HH Humbuckers Great Shape

dBChad likes this.
  15. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Jeez. I realize it’s their bass, but seeing this makes me very sad.

jd56hawk likes this.
  16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Get real dude.

Peavey T40 Ash Body Bass | Hollowood Music and Sound
    Peavey T-40 with Maple Fretboard 1979 Blonde | Epic Emporium
    "peavey t40" in Bass Guitars

Just because someone is asking $900 for them doesn't mean they're selling them for that. You sure they're "getting snatched up" and not delisted out of shame?

They've certainly gone up in price, but we're talking $400-$500 instead of $200-$300.

Even if there had been a run on the market and they were going for $900 with any regularity (they're not) you're living in a fantasy world if you think that means they're only going to keep increasing.

"The great geezer die off" is going to happen and the bottom is going to fall out of the vintage instrument market, you really think Peavey of all things is going to withstand that?

17. It's your bass do as you see fit.

18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Just saw one at GC for $400. It was kinda shoddy build-wise.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If the bottom falls out of the vintage market, Peavey will withstand that much better than the collectible brands. If you buy a T-40 for $400, in a depressed market that bass - worst case scenario - will be worth $250. But if you buy a '74 Jazz bass for $3grand, that bass will be worth $1,200. So with a Peavey you'll lose $150, but with a Fender you'll lose $1,800. Unless you buy a 60's Fender bass, in which case you'll lose MUCH more than $1,800.

Peavey. For the smart buyer.

20. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Those numbers are very arbitrary. The bottom isn't going to fall out of the vintage market.