Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too soon for Pantera cover?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Dec 10, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Let's hear your thoughts...

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I don't see why not...

My guitarist informed me yesterday that we are writing a song in honor.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Heck no. Just don't ruin it ;). I was thinking of trying to get a Panteraesque band together, but I'm sure it wont happen...

Ray

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, go for it. Make a dedication to Dime, just don't screw up the song!

5. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Back in the dark ages, I used to frequent a rock oriented night club that had live bands/dancing etc... On the day after Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane went down, the band that was booked that week, that had prior to that not done a single Skynyrd song other than a routine rendition of Sweet Home Alabama, dedicated their entire last set to them. It lasted over an hour. They did about every hit Skynyrd had and finished up with a sorrowful gut wrentching version of Simple Man followed by an extended extended version of Free Bird (Before it became a cliche) It remains one of the most memorable and emotional musical experiences of my life nearly 25 years later. Do it with some class and you can provide a fine tribute and keep fond memories alive for many fans.

6. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Do it!
    If my metal band was playing this weekend, we would definelty do a Pantera song as a tribute. Unfortunatly my Rock/Pop is playing this weekend. They obvioulsy dont play metal, so I am thinking of having us do a ZZ Top song in tribute. Darrell was influenced by ZZ and Skynard when he was younger.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, it would be cool. Like the others said, with respect and class it would be a great tribute.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Would you have done one otherwise ? If the answer is no, than that makes your band vultures.

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    IMO, two of the most emotional performances in rock are Derek and the Dominos' and SRV's versions of "Little Wing," done as a tribute to Jimi Hendrix. Play with their taste and emotion, and you'll have no problem.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No it's not too soon.

My kids went to a metal show last weekend and every band on the bill played a Pantera song in tribute.

11. Go for it man! For ol' Dime :bassist: :crying:

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Done as a tribute, I don't see why it should.

13. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Because if say, they were a top 40/pop band, there'd be no way they'd play "metal" like that normally. That would mean they were taking advantage of a bad situation for whatever reason.

14. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Who's to say that they are doing it for themselves though? Even if they wouldn't normally play it, maybe they really are doing it out of genuine respect, as opposed to taking advantage of the situation.

15. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    My point(although I'm doing a poor job of making it) is, that it will seem opportunistic, contrived and insincere if that is waaaaay out of the norm for them material wise. You wouldn't want to come off looking like a poser in that instance.

16. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Click on the link in my sig (the songs play automatically) and tell me they don't fit our style.

17. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I recommend one thing...

Play a song that not everyone knows. That way the true Pantera fans will appreciate what you're doing and you won't have posers who are only familiar with "Walk" acting like they gave a damn about him.

Just my 2 cents.

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Puarija said:

I recommend one thing...

Play a song that not everyone knows. That way the true Pantera fans will appreciate what you're doing and you won't have posers who are only familiar with "Walk" acting like they gave a damn about him.

Just my 2 cents.

+1

Git yer pull...

19. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I totally agree Paurija, we did "Slaughtered". Kick ass track...

20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    My favorite Pantera song, since the firs time I heard it, has been "Suicide Note: Part I" from The Great Southern Trendkill. Something about that song gives me knots in my stomach, and even more so now...