Too tense

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SenorQueso, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    I've come down to the suspiscion that some pain I'm getting for playing for a extended period of time in my right hand is from being too tense. Was wondering if some of you guys knew of any ways to relax my hand or perharps strech it before playing?

Too describe where the pain is I've made a paint picture ( yea the quality is pure crap but bare with me ). Also the picture is palm side up and I will just post a link to it because I fear it's going to be too big to post.
  2. Umm....on what side of the pic is your thumb??:eyebrow:
  3. SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    The bigger finger on the right.
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Change in technique, action, wrist streches, or a break from bass may do you good.

try this after a day break
    You may have to work at it for 2 months, but believe me its worth it. I am WAYYY more relaxed now.
  5. To quote Simon and Garfunkle - Slow down, you move too fast...

Sometimes to move forward we have to slow to a crawl first. Slow yourself right down, and work on playing the same material at a stupidly slow tempo with relaxed left and right hand.

Each note, take the time to relax yourself - ask youself "Is this the least possible amount of pressure I can apply to make the note sound properly? Is this the smallest amount of motion I can do to move my fingers up and off the string". You will be shocked at how relaxed you start off and how tense you become in a very short number of notes.

I did this very recently when I had hit a wall and found that I lift my fingers way too far from the board during my descending scale runs, but I'm fine on ascending runs - I tend to try to get my fingers out of the way as I play notes a fret lower. Slowing down and practicing at slow speed helped me see this and also helped me correct it. My top speed jumped by 20bpm once I sped up again.

I also found that I tensed up the longer I played, especially in fast pieces - I regained speed and tone each time I lowered my shoulders and relaxed my grip, but I went up and down through the song. Playing it slowly helped me remove the tension.