Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too Tight and Too loose

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 6-3-2, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I just put on a set of DR lowriders on my bass, and the E and A are too loose, and the D and G are too tight, what happened? I did switch from Elixir's to these, but i still have no idea why this happened. It's all in tune and I put the strings one the proper way, I don't really know a great deal about set-up, and I certainly have no clue how to fix it, any advice? Playing my bass fingerstyle like this is killing me.

2. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    My guess is either you put on a lighter gauge or the strings have a different core structure. I use DR Sumbeams on some of my basses, switching from Boomers, and I didn't have a problem. I've never used Elixir's though.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Different cores, the Elixir's are round nickels, the new DRs are hex stainless, both .45-.105. Either way what do I do?

4. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Aren't hex's supposed to have more tension? Maybe I'm mistaken. I've never had this problem before. I guess I can't really help. Sorry.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The higher strings certainly have more tension, the lower ones do not.

6. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You could just put the Elixir's back on.

7. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I can't, I the clipped the tops off so I wouldn't have to pull the winded part through the bridge.

8. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Oh. Well, there really isn't anything you can do to alter the tension of a string, except for change the string.

Also, how long ago did you put the strings on? I noticed that my DR's were a little loose in the beginning and now they're fine.

9. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I put them on today, I thought maybe after some playing they would even out, it seems odd to have it be so uneven though, maybe a bad set of strings?

10. FUNKonthewall

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It took one or two days for my Sunbeams to stretch out and I'm in love with them now. I guess the best advice I can give you is to wait and see what happens.

11. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    check if they have the same core! It happend to me years ago, a mix set of Hi B and LoR, weird!

Aloha

Mo'

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    How do i figure that out?

13. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    At the end at the anchor ball you can see the core. If you can not see, like me that I'm half blind :cool:, use a magnifying lens. You should see if it is round or exagonal.
    You could also cut a little short piece at the posts and check.

Sayonara

Mo'