1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Too young, but also too old...An appreciation of age

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by naetog, Jan 14, 2019.

1. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I'll be 37 this year.

The past few years I've found I am too old for college-age bands, but too young for the old dudes.

This is mostly due to our schedules and general life responsibilities being vastly different from each other, not a bias or aversion to, or from, either group.

This middle ground (age-wise) has given me fewer opportunities to play regularly, but also a chance to play a lot of music I wouldn't necessarily have sought out a decade ago.... There came a point where I just want to play music, whatever form it may take.

From jamming with some folk-country people playing Neil young and Merle Haggard, and then playing Van Morrison and Santana tunes with another group, and even a brief stint in pop rock. It's different, it's a bit uncomfortable, but it's really fun.

What I have realized is I have a new found appreciation to playing different things with different people.

Genres I don't even listen to have become my favorite things to play because it forces me outside my comfort zone and helps me approach bass lines from a different perspective.

It's a great time to be a bass player!

2. This is how we broaden and grow.

3. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Your age is nothing but a number. (This is what I increasingly tell myself as I get older!)

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    With an attitude like that, you seem to find life an adventure to be lived, as opposed to a problem to be solved. Good for you.

Miker27607 likes this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I'm around the same age ā€“

I'm lucky enough to play in 2 originals bands that have both been around for a long time, and do things very much on their own terms ā€“ band stuff is fitted in where we can, and more importantly no one's got any illusions about getting famous or pretending to be angry young rockers....

I can't imagine what it would be like if I was bandless and looking for people to play with, so well done for getting out there! Hope you can find what you're looking for.

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I'm sure you've seen the Philadelphia CL ads where you read through a long paragraph of influences and desires, only to have them say 'Please be 20-22" at the end.
    "Oh," say I - "another kiddie band..."

Artman and SactoBass like this.
  7. Hey be careful with the old stuff! I am in my middle 50s, and the guys i play music with or around that age also. Some of them are very talented and can play a long song list. But I have heard some older cat that play just three chord drinking songs. At my church, no one is over 30 that's on the praise team. Getting older is a little tough. Just stay on top of your game and you'll do well.

TREYontheBASS, Artman and naetog like this.
  8. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Count your blessings. I'm close to being too old for the old dudes........LOL!

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "I learn more from things I DON'T like rather than staying in my comfort zone all the time."
    ~ Victor Wooten

Glad you are keeping an open mind!

diegom, hintz, dBChad and 2 others like this.
  10. DoctorZee

DoctorZee Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2018
    New York / New Jersey
    Just chiming in to say I'm 34 and have been wrestling with the exact same issues of being in the "no man's land" between age brackets. I love your optimistic view of it! I've been a little bummed about it lately, so this was a nice refreshing read.

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

:laugh: me too!

Blankandson and Artman like this.
  12. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    Iā€™m 69. Still play, still write and still thoroughly enjoy music. The only thing that has changed for me is that I am less tolerant of BS , so the odds of playing in a band (even with old dudes like myself) are slim.

btmpancake, Stumbo, Artman and 12 others like this.
  13. Age is just a number, don't let it stop you from playing. I'm 65 and play in a classic rock band with guys 10 - 20 years younger, sometimes our drummers son fills in (he's 19) and does a great job.
    You are only as young as you feel. If I can hang with the youngerns then there's no reason you can't play with anyone. Don't limit yourself!

Alan Scharrer and Nevada Pete like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    As an old dude, having someone who's your age around is not a problem. If you've go some chops, and are working to get better, come on in.

15. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I'm 65.
    Semi-retired after being full time for many years.I do play in a original roots/Americans type band.I also still get cover band work.I'm the guy who gets the last minute call when a band's bassist is sick & can't make it.I get calls from players throwing together a band for an occasion.I can kinda call my own shots at this point & I no longer have to take every gig that comes down the pike.
    Back when the New Jersey bars had an 18 year old drinking age(the 70's) the club's & booking agents considered you over the hill when you turned 24-25 years old! Most of the "young" bands U see around my way have 30 to 33 year old members.
    While there's still young players out there the barrock band market tends to draw an older crowd.At least on my local cover circuit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Stumbo and Alan Scharrer like this.
  16. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm 51, so on the other side of this now, but I can definitely understand. At age 37 I was busy being husband and dad so band stuff couldn't have effectively been wedged in there without causing a problem. Now that my kids are older I can be in two bands with a semi-regular gigging schedule without issue.

Jeff Elkins and pappabass like this.
  17. One more thing, the gigs ending at 1:00am get a little tough!

18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    You're only as old as you feel... that puts me about 20 years older than I am....

My recommendation... start growing your beard now... then when you're 70+ you'll look as cool as Leland Sklar.

Leland+Sklar. .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Artman, Blankandson, bobba66 and 7 others like this.
  19. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I'm fortunate that my church doesn't practice age discrimination. Our praise teams range from teens to 60's (me).

TheReceder and pappabass like this.
  20. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Oh, crap.:crying:

Stumbo, EatS1stBassist and J-Mags like this.