Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too young for her first concert?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Don't be such a parent. Let 'er go and have some fun.

28 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No. If they're still around when she's older, she can go then.

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My fiancee's 10-year-old just asked if she could go to Milwaukee (about 2 hours away) with a friend from school and her friend's dad, to see Simple Plan. Our first reaction was "no," for seven reasons (in random order): 1) It's in Milwaukee. 2) It's at the Rave, which is always a general admission club. I've seen many a show at the Rave and I don't think it's a safe place for a youngster to see a concert. 3) It's an all-ages show, which means beer, booze and (more than likely) marijuana. 4) I wasn't allowed to go to my first concert until I was 16. Even then, my mother wouldn't allow me to take my car or drive to the venue. My twenty-something friend/co-worker did the driving in his car. BTW, that show was in Milwaukee as well (Metallica's "An Evening With Metallica" Tour). 5) I don't know much about Simple Plan. Are they appropriate for a 10-year-old to be listening to (do they curse a lot? Are their songs suggestive in nature, or do they insinuate things that little girls don't need to be thinking about for another 5 or 6 years)? 7) I believe it's on a school night and she's not doing that well in school to begin with.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure we're going to say no, but I'd like some opinions anyway. Thanks.

EDIT: Maybe I'm getting old. If she'd asked to go see the Muppets on Ice, or An Evening With Barney, we'd have said yes in a minute.

2. It seems kinda sketchy.

Is she a good kid? You might want to take that into consideration.

I've been going to shows since I was 11 and the closest I've ever come to ingesting something...
    'not so good' is when some drunk got in the pit with a cup of beer.

:p have a litle faith.

3. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Well,most of the questions you and your signifigant other have to diecide,but with the band itself,they are the poppiest of the pop punk genre.I don't really listen to them,but I don't think they curse too terribly much.BUT,I don't know if I'd let her go,no one should pay to have their ears tortured like that:}.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I guess she's a good kid, yeah. I think she could spend a little more time on her studies, but I guess that's kids. I didn't study all the time either.

;)

Should I have thrown in the fact that neither of us care much for the friend she wants to go with? She is extremely rude to her own mother and we feel like she's a bad influence on "Jenny." In fact, we're hoping that when the girls change schools (it's kind of a long story), Jenny will lose touch with this girl.

5. Simple Plan from what I've heard is a pop-punk band. Just think boy bands with distored guitars. It's appropriate (but not the smartest, but hey? Who am I to judge?) for a ten year old. I think if she is with an adult with good judgement, it'll be A O.K. I was 8 when I went to my first concert, and Primus was my 15... or 16th?

Wait, is she going by her self? or with and adult?

6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

She has adult supervision which is the most important factor here. It all comes down to an issue of trust. Has she earned your trust in the past? Has she violated your trust in the past? Past actions are the best indicator of future actions. I'd consult with your fiancee about whether or not she's earned the trust. Assuming that she has your trust, I'd let her go. Of course I'd lecture her to make sure she fully understands the situation she's going to do and to practice common sense.

As for the band, I'd don't believe they are too overly inappropriate for a 10 year old. Even if they were, would she be able to comprehend what was being suggested? I know that at that age I didn't realize that some of my favorite songs were really all about passionate love making. I'd be worried that the older kids in the crowd would have the most influence on her and we all know that teenages can have some dirty mouths and do some misguided actions. 10 years old is cutting it close for me. I'd let her go if she was 12, but rules were made to be bent, not broken.

I just realized how old I'm sounding. I'm 16.

7. Let her go.

She should enjoy life before she realizes it sucks.

Plus,if you don't let her go she'll become very emo-depressive and scream the songs at night.

8. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    No one will be smoking pot at the show. I've never heard of such thing at a rock concert(post 90's with the exception of metal shows in large stadium size arenas where they can't keep an eye on all). Security is pretty tight on that stuff. O thousands may come there high, just they wont be getting high At the show. If this were a rave i'd be concerned even if my child was 25. But it's a rock concert. Accually it's barly even that. It's more a pop concert.

I've watched them on tv, half their crowd is was pretty darn tiny. I know their Suppose to be a rock band but thier audience is just a bunch of kids into pop and it seams as calm as any pop concert would be. Ask yourself, would you send your kid to a britney spears concert then decide would you let her into this. This isn't exactly a Dropkick murphey concert(I've never seen so many untra ripped 7 foot goliaths spinning in circles in a pit OMG, I'm pretty dam big and i **** myself. By the way, thats 7 foot fully ripped gargantuine beasts without the foot long mohawks.)

Also consider the size of you child, will she be squished by the peeps around her, and will she be able to even see the band.

edit: accually come to think of it u may find her safer now then then in 6-10 years at the same concert. Most people would be pretty protective of youngers but once she starts looking like a women theres tons of immature kids at pop-rock concerts that would grope them, and even tear cloths of if they float. I've known several peeps whose had this stuff happen.

9. No.

10. ***?!?!!?~~!!?!!??~!?!?!11!!2211?`!/`?!/`/1/`!1`!!~1!!! ? :D

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think at her young age someone in her immediate family should be there. If that was the case, then I would say yes.

Check your PMs.

12. Good point.

If it was Anal ****, Hatebreed, or some other (insert genre)-core band I would be worried.

But it's simple plan. kids at those showes wouldn't know what to do in a pit. ;)

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

If you're unsure, go with her. That way, you'll know what happened, how it was dealt with, and so on. If it doesn't work, leave. If the music sucks, work on the kid's taste!

I had friends who took kids much younger than ten to Dead shows, and it was no problem. Those kids knew what was up though, no kidding. I also knew a foxy 16 year old who took her mom to a midnight Dead show at the Fillmore East - mom loved it, and we all had an easier time after that. So, it depends on the kid, and on you, I'd say. I have no idea about the venue or the band though, and those are important factors.

14. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    lol yes they have, thats why i went back and posted that post 90's comment after i got this great big image of hippies at woodstock.

15. And my "no" meant don't let her go.

16. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    "No one will be smoking pot at the show. I've never heard of such thing at a rock concert"

wow i ve never been to a concert were i didnt come home reeking of pot and i dont even smoke.

go with her.

17. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    u know what, with conflicting experiences on the marijuana thing, its best we re-emphisize one of the most important statements here.

alright i can't find the quote but someone above stated finding out more about the venue. That will influence alot.

18. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I wouldn't let my 11 year old daughter go, espeacially if I barely knew the dad of her friend. I have taken her (and the rest of my family) to Audio Adrenaline and other Christian rock concerts, but I take her and see is never out of my sight. Kids grow up fast, let her be a kid a little longer. She doesn't need to be exposed to that atmosphere just yet. There's my 2 cents worth. Now go do the right thing! Ha! :D

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Ditto... well I only went to 2 shows so far (Offspring and Tool) and at the Tool show - which was at the now renamed Rexall Place, our hockey arena - there was an insane amount of pot... I came home smelling so bad it was scary! And I had to go back to school next day!:D

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No.

Let her hate you, she will love you for it later.