Took a fall over the weekend . . .

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Don41_2, May 30, 2012.

1. Don41_2

Don41_2 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    And fractured three vertebrae on my right side - specifically the little things on the side of the vertebrae called the "pedicle". :atoz:

Anyone have experience with that type of injury? If so, how long did it take you to heal?

I'm able to walk, sit and lie down - but moving very carefully to avoid intense jolts of pain from sudden movements.

Thanks in advance.

2. That sucks! I have nothing to offer aside from my condolences. Hopefully you're healed up and back in action soon...

3. How old are you? Are you active/healthy? Smoke/drink alcohol?

The older and/or more unhealthy you are the slower you will heal. Smoking and drinking weakens bones, decreases bone mass, and when the fracture heals it will be weaker than a non-smoker/drinker's would be. Plus, it depends on how much you smoke/drink. Some prescription medications can slow bone growth/lessen bone density. A quick webMD or google search on your meds, if any, would be a good idea.

Average time of healing for a limb fracture is 6 wks (from incident to cast removal) so I would expect something along those lines, again taking into account the above factors. Taking it easy is definitely a good idea!

Good luck.

p.s. Credentials: 17 year paramedic with some ortho experience.

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I'm sorry to hear this. Hoping and praying you recover quickly and completely.

5. Don41_2

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    Thanks folks - I really appreciate the feedback and the well wishes!

I'm 51, in very good shape, exercise regularly, don't smoke and drink in moderation. Seeing the orthopedic doctor this afternoon.

6. no advice to give... but OUCH!!!! I wiggled and squirmed a bit in my seat reading your post. I hope it heals up quick for you.

7. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    So, what were you doing when you fell? I'm just curious, and wish you a speedy recovery.

I was doing some gutter work on my ranch-style home yesterday, and had my usual falling scenarios going on in my head. I hate ladders with a passion.

8. I fractured the same piece of my L5 about 20 years ago resulting in a condition called spondylolisthesis - one vertebrae moving forward or backward relative to the one above or below. At the time I was very healthy & fit - a nationally ranked triathlete.

Mine didn't heal. The result was a badly herniated disc, pressure on sciatic nerves, and severe pain. Surgery (L5-S1 laminectomy) improved the pain but I still have back pain 20 years later. Mine may have been a worst case scenario for this type of injury. Hopefully you have more success with yours. Good luck.

9. Don41_2

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    The doctor told me it is was actually the transverse processe that fractured - three of them. The L1 transverse process is a clean break, the L2 & L3 are hairline cracks. Have to wear a back brace and no lifting anything over 10 pounds - for 12 weeks - to give it best chance to heal.

No golf, no canada fishing trip, etc. so will have a lot of time on my hands. My 20th anniversary ibanez SDGR Prestige is less than 10 lbs, so at least I can practice a lot with that during the recovery period.

Kawai-Chang:

I just stepped out onto my deck from the house and slipped. Both feet kicked out from underneath me and I landed hard on the edge of the step with right side of my back. There was a little bit of that green algae that was growing and it had just rained - slick as ice. Take it from me - that is a dangerous situation! I will never let that grow on my deck again. I keep thinking about what if that had happened to a guest or my 80 year old parents.

lo_freq-geek:

Wow, i'm really sorry to hear about that! I will try to be extra conservative in the healing process. I wish you the best in your situation.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Speedy recovery! :)

11. NML1986

NML1986

Feb 25, 2012
    Lincoln UK
    Ouch man hope things get sorted for ya. I'm sat here with a pulled muscle just below my shoulder blade and that hurts like hell doing anything, I can only imagine what it must be like for you. :eek:

12. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Don,

That imagery made me wince. I hope you have a speedy recovery with a little pain as possible.

13. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    Me too. Broke my hip in a road bike fall.
    My week's consisted of couch time with an iPad.

14. Don41_2

Mar 25, 2012
    Raleigh, Nc
    Fredguy - sorry to hear that. Best wishes in your healing process.

Also, thanks TB, really appreciate the feedback. Good people in here.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021