1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Took A Little Trip To The Music Store!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IbanezATK, Apr 30, 2009.

1. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Took my mom to the Dr. She recently had surgery so I'm her "designated driver" for long trips to the doc.

Then we went to some music stores!

Couldn't find a Peavey Cirrus to save my life :bawl:

I played import Spectors, wasn't impressed... they didn't have any Czech or USA made though :(

I played a Washburn something or other... yuck.

I played a couple of MIA Jazzes and P's... they were OK. Not even close to the Road Worn I played recently... it blew every one of the MIA's I played away in every aspect. Didn't see any Road Worn basses today but jammed for a few minutes with a guy playing a Road Worn Strat... it sounded good.

I played every Stingray and Stingray HH they had in the store. One had a SERIOUS neck issue. The rest were... OK.

I came home and plugged in my cheap ass Ibanez ATK, Stalin is his name, and it is a better bass in my ears and hands than anything I played today.

I left the last store feeling like something is wrong with me. Guess I should be happy that I'm happy with a cheap ass bass :bassist:

My mom knows nothing about bassses, she liked the "pretty" ones because they were "pretty," but said that my ATK sounds better than anything I played today to her ear as well.

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Many a time I've played a half dozen basses or so at a store and found I like my instruments better. :)

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    It's a great feeling isn't it?
    Nothing in the music stores I'd want to trade my Cirrus 5 Or my USA Millennium 5 for. Sure there's some nice stuff but is it really better?
    Do some homework and find a store that sell Peavey so you can check out the Cirrus if you really want one. You might also want to carefully check out some used ones. They can be had for about 1/2 price used.

The ATKs are really nice basses. No shame in playing those that's for sure. The cirrus will be alot different in tone and feel. Keep in mind it's 35" scale and it feels like a longer reach than other 35s I've played (including my millennium)

4. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Both of the music stores here are Peavey dealers and don't have a single Cirrus. The stores I went to yesterday were Peavey dealers as well... and I didn't see a Cirrus :(

I'm gonna have to make another road trip.

I plan to play new to figure out which wood combo I want, then buy used!

5. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    I really don't get gas,
    I was looking at a new warwick, they all play like crap compared to my 7 year old one.
    don't get me started on newer fenders, I've always hated them.
    It's really hard to find something I like guitarwise in a shop.
    (minus low down which is gone, stuff in there made you want to remortgage your house)

oh well I can concentrate on gassing for amps and effects.

6. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I love my IbanezATK. Sure, it's not a super expensive bass by most people's standards but hey. Sounds great so that's all that counts.

Also: I actually have pretty bad luck finding good basses too out of shops. Those display models take a lot of abuse really, how many people grab them and just try to show off on them or god knows what else? I don't think it's an uncommon experience. Sometimes you'll get lucky and just find that special one that fits you, but a lot of times you won't.

Keep looking ;) took me 3 tries with other basses before I settled on my current main.

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    my last music shop experience was delightful too! I had to buy a suit and while I was waiting on the suit shop to seam my pants I thought I'd stop by the music shop that was in the strip mall. I had noticed this music shop had closed down that was across town, but I now found that they moved to this spot. I went inside looked around so I could head straight for the bass stuff. NO BASS STUFF, I walked around and found one bottom of the line Washburn bass. I left immediately laughing and shaking my head. Unbelievable.

So I can understand your experience with little in a music shop.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Everyone drools over the super model but the wise and/or lucky few end up realizing that the girl next door is often the real deal.