Took a ride to NYC today . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Frank Louis, Nov 23, 2004.

1. And I came home with a plywood Roma !

Thanks to Steve, his mom and the staff at Ideal Music on 22nd St.
    It was a pleasure doing business with you.
    All you newbies take note, a nice European bass, with pro set-up, out the door at $750 . . such a deal ! :D

Attached Files:

• Roma.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
  2. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Great bass for the bread. Congratulations. I bought my Wilfer from Steve. Nice experience.
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Freakin A. Great Buy. Steve and Ideal Music are a great deal. Plus his mom is really cool.

If you have any cash left over you might want to make a return trip for a set-up.

P.S. my bass is the Eberle he sells
  4. I went there to check out the Eberle, a really nice bass IMO, but there was something about the Roma that rang my bell, aside from the $200 difference. Maybe the sloping shoulders and the unfinished neck, I just felt more comfortable with it, not to mention the sound, arco projection was just beautiful and pizz is nice as well. It came with the "basic" set up and a set of Heliocores. I'd like to put Spiros on it like my EUB, regular gauge. Would I need a new set up for that due to the heavier strings? Will there be a buzzing problem with a fatter E string due to the beveled fingerboard? :confused:
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    ooo nice score man! I haven't seen anything that nice for that cheap in my search so far.
  6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Put it on and find out. IF you get more or lots of buzzing you should take it in.

I had to replane mine to a rounded fingerboard, I don't like the beleveled.

I would suggest getting an adjustable bridge and replace the coat hanger. I did that, among other things when I got it set up, and the bass just sounded better. Also, endpin upgrade will enhance the sound.

Keep playing that bass everyday. It will open up nicely over the next few months.
  7. Thanks bro for the reply . . I noticed the bridge is shaped asymetrically to go with the beveled fingerboard. Could I install an adjustable bridge without replaning the board like you did ?
    Also is replacing the coat hanger something I could tackle on my own ?
    BTW I am playing the bass constantly and enjoying the hell out of it ! I'm usually a pizz playin' jazzer but I bought some classical sheet music and doing a lot of arco practice as well.
    This is fun ! :D
  8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You can get a new bridge. It will just need to be reshaped to fit your finger board. IMO be ready to spend $200-300 for a good adjustable bridge with the labor, but it is worth it.

Replacing the coat hanger is something that you can do, but if you are going to get an adjustable bridge put on, just have the luther do it then.

Keep working with will open up the bass more and make it sing.

Good luck.
  9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Attached Files:

10. The Eberle is one fine bass, it was a tough decision between the two. I had the pro play both while I moved about the room, they sound was remarkably simillar. I just felt more comfortable with the un-finished neck and slightly smaller stature of the Roma.
  11. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, it was hard to decide in the shop, not the best place to hear the bass.

When I got it home to an environment that I was use to, could tell the difference, from my old bass, in just a few seconds.

The Roma is a great bass.

Did you try any of the hybrids or carved basses? I felt that the ply's (both Eberle and ROMA) sounded better than the hybrids I played compared to hybrids else where.
  12. Yes, I did try a hybrid Strunal at a Sam Ash store, and you're right, both of these laminates have a bright voice like a hybrid, instead of the usual low thud like some of the others.
  13. othefool

othefool Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Chico, CA
    Living in California, I wasn't able to make to out to the city, but I did order an Eberle plywood from Steve off of EBay about 9 months ago. I got it for $950, which is what he is selling them now for, and another $250 shipping, so I picked it up for $1200 total (actually, they called a week later and told me that they had refunded $25, since the shipping turned out to be less than estimated. That says a lot about the company.)

I am amazed with my bass. I gave it a minor set-up and put on a set of helicores, and the tone and sound is just warming up, but recently I have been playing acoustically with a small combo, and the tone is really impressing me.

It still needs a more comprehensive set-up, and some better strings, and someday I see myself moving up, once I feel I have earned the right to own a bass worth more than most cars I have owned. But for a first upright bass, costing just over a grand... I don't think you can go wrong with bassesonline (I see from this post the Roma is also well thought of.)

And a fully carved for $2000? German? I wish I could swing that... :rolleyes:

That's my endorsement. I was just playing my Eberle (Rufus is it's name) in the living room, and digging the tone, and digging the bass, and I thought I would give my $.02.
  14. Wow, that's great. Glad you chimed-in and ordered one online !
    Real nice instrument for real little money, enjoy . . . ;)
  15. Glad you're having fun with your basses guys! I don't wanna rain on your parade and with the exception of buying a bass without not having seen or played it, I went about learning to deal with bass issues the same way you guys are. The fact that you're doing some of the work yourself would normally scare the hell outta me, but since these are laminated basses, that gives you a little wiggle room.
    I think luck has played a certain part for each of you as well. Please do as much more reading in the Newbie links and the Archives before you get too carried away.
    Freakin A, what do you mean about your bridge being
    " asymetrical" ?
    I'm an old guy granted, but the use of the term "coat hanger" and a couple of other things, kinda scares me. I would, at least try to hold down the 'DIY' activities to a dull roar until you gain some experiences that might help.
    Just a heads up.......
    Have a great time and keep us posted!
  16. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Get the neck sanded and finished ASAP. Makes a huge differnce. Plus glad you got a good instrument throught the EBAY order, that would have scared me.

I had my bass fully set-up at gages. No DIY approach for me.
    But thanks for the sound advice.

17. Your welcome. Matt, i've been reading your posts alot lately and it's obvious that you're growing by leaps and bounds on these DB issues. Keep it up!
    I don't think anyone is trying to tell you guys not to try the DIY stuff and Frank, after checking your profile, you're no spring chicken your own self and it seems you've had some experience in bass repair, so please don't think i'm lecturing you. It's nice for me to have another older poster around. Gad, that sounds insulting. :D
  18. No offence taken Paul, ;) I don't mind getting older, it sure beats the alternative ! And any advise from a gentleman like yourself with such an esteemed background in the business, I consider it an honor, lecture away ! :D
    What I meant by asymetrical is that it is not perfectly rounded, but there seems to be a slight hump for the "E" string to compensate for the bevel, I think, or maybe my new eyeglass prescription is playin tricks on me ! :smug:
  19. Does the 'hump' you're talking about give you problems when you try to bow on your A string?
  20. No, not at all, although in all honesty, I'm still an arco novice. I recently switched to a german style bow and like the results I'm getting. But like my golf game I have to really work at consistancy. But the bottom line, this is a low end bass with a basic set-up, but it's suiting my purpose quite well. I'm learning and enjoying it !