1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Took a trip to Blue Angels Music (Pensacola, FL)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 18, 2009.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    And I've gotta say, its one of the coolest, if not, THE coolest guitar shop I've ever been in! Anyone's who plans on going to Pensacola should definitely take a stop there. It's down the street from Correy Field.

Before I even walked in, the first thing that struck me was the parrot in the window. I thought that was pretty cool. I walked in and was greeted by a lot of guitars, which were definitely nice and sparked my interest. I was looking for the basses, which were actually in the next room that looked more like a dance studio, or at least an acoustic room, but I guess they're renovating. So I first looked at the effects, which was a nice selection of Boss and Electro-Harmonix. And by nice, I mean varied, because they had some things I never see at my local Guitar Center, including a small EHX mixer.

So I go into the other room and find the wall of basses. Definitely an interesting selection, with a lot of older Fenders, or things that looked like Fenders. One even had a fretless Moses neck. I walked out of the room and saw my dad talking to an older man who worked there (I just assumed he owned the place but I might be wrong). I explained that I was in town for a music audition at UWF for electric bass. He walks me over to the front counter and shows me what I first thought was a Roscoe Beck, but soon learned was actually a Stevens Slant 5 (!!!). He also had a 1966 P-bass, which he pointed out was about three pounds lighter than what they normally weigh. He was pretty insistent that I try it out, which I thought was pretty cool because that I'm some 18 year old kid about to go to college.

We go back into the room and he plugs me up into this Crate amp, and I start playing. I can see why people like these things. It had a very nice sound to it. And the set up was amazing. It was a very comfortable bass to play on, especially for being so old.

I then switched over to the Stevens, which was pretty cool. It played nice as well, and had a lot of control to the sound. It was pretty similar to a Fender Roscoe Beck, and I would seriously consider purchasing one.

I think the best part of the stop, though, was that the man commented that I seemed pretty good at playing, and that it'd be cool if I could teach at the shop when I go over there for college. I thought it was a very nice compliment, and definitely something I'm going to look into when I start college.