Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Took my Alembic out of the Closet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ClassicJazz, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    About seven months ago, I kinda got back to my roots. Went back to playing 4-strings and got a bunch of Fender Jazzes. I got rid of all my 5ers except my Alembic Distillate 5-String.

Well Wednesdays I go to a local Blues Jam, were I am a regular. I decided to take the Alembic out for some air (after being in the case for the past 7 months). Still weighs a ton and damn that string spacing is tight!!

BUT...when I got up to play, DAMN! :eek: That is still one greatest sounding bass! Very clear and precise sounding and full. Everyone in the bar noticed how great the bass sounded (the house band bassist has a nice SWR system), even the other bass players there. Man, if my Jazz bass sounded like that, I would truely be in heaven! Well back to the closet.........

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    :) It's great rediscovering an old toy, aint it? But you must be mad...I crave Alembic, my dreams are filled with brown basses and Series I's...

I wouldn't be able to put it down if I had one!

3. Sounds to me like you need to get a "Jazz" that you can do a refit on using pu's from an Alembic. One sounds great but isn't as comfortable, and the other plays great but doesn't quite cut it sound-wise. Time to combine...

"There are always possibilities"...Spock said... ;)

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I'm glad you rediscovered the Alembic. Always a good thing to have a good tone that you can appreciate.

But I'd like to ask a question.... you say you haven't played it in 7 months? Could it also be that you grew unfamiliar with it in that time?

I say this because I'm a one bass at a time kind of guy, and I take great effort in choosing my bass and setting it up, choosing my strings and everything.... But to be honest, it's not until I go play some one else's bass and deal with how they've got theirs set up and how theirs sounds that I REALLY appreciate how good mine is.

Did you put it down for 7 months because you were unhappy with it? Or because something else you had blew your mind more. I'm getting to that point again where I need to go pluck on someone else's slab o' pine so that I can come back home and appreciate mine.

Just curious.

5. IF you need to, I hear that ClassicJazz has a bass just sitting in the closet that's killer, and needs a pair of good hands to warm it up! :D

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida

I had put it down for a number of reasons, mainly because I got back into playing 4-string basses. After playing 5-stringers for almost 15 years, I had played a Fender Jazz in a store. I then realized how much I missed them (had Jazz basses before the Alembic). I actually find my Fenders more fun to play and I love that vintage look and sound of my two jazzes (fretted and fretless). I ended up selling two Carvin 5-strings I had, but kept the Alembic for more sentimental value. I mean that bass still wows me when I plug it in the neck LEDs turn on! But the string spacing and the weight do not appeal to me anymore. All though, if I was recording, no question I would use the Alembic for the sound.

7. I had no idea that basses had sexual orientation. I just figured they were all kinda a-sexual. But you say your Alembic was in the closet. Interesting.

8. I get that way, too, when I get a new bass. I tend to focus on that one and the other(s) get put aside for a while. For the first time, though, I've gotten a new bass and I'm actually using it and my previous bass both just as much as before. Probably because a.) I'm playing two styles of music in two different bands, and b.) I really like both equally this time! New Warwick FNA Jazzman fretless 5, and my original Fender Jazz fretted 5. I'm a happy camper! :hyper: :bassist: