1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Took off carpet and cant figure out what material my cab is made out of?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Dec 12, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    (ADA bassline HX 210) I took the carpet off and it looks like partical board, but Ive done some searching and it could be MDF(medium dense fiberboard), how can you tell which is which? I ordered some new Eminence basslite drivers to put in and Im spraying a new covering over the cab. However, I dont want to waste my time or money on a cab that may be to cheap to invest in, the cab sounded decent before and is fairly heavy, so should I just move forward??

thanks

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    MDF has much finer particles, almost as fine as brown cardboard. The cut edges are also much smoother. Particle board has particles that look more like sawdust, and edges tend to be rough.

3. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Don't ditch the cab just because it looks like cheap material. When I tore my rat fur off, the sight was dreadful with the glue and all that leftover fur. But I know it was top quality Birch wood, and it sounds great (Ea VL210). If it sounded good before, it will again. Don't let the unfinished cab discourage you. It will look superb if you take time with the spray.

4. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys!

This doesnt look like typical partical board, except in some spots where I sanded it down the dust looks like partical board material. Theres some larger wood splinters in the deply sanded area where some moisture got to it, kind of a cross between plywood and partical board, if that makes sense?

5. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Is it grayish color? I think I know what you are talking about, but I am not sure if it is MDF. Remo drums used to make their older drums out of that stuff, if it's what I am thinking of. Don't worry about the splinters, or any flaws. The spray should cover all of that after a couple of coats.