Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Took off my badass II bridge and put the stock back on...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by orskard, Oct 4, 2004.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    After reading that some people liked the stock better than the Badass II, i took mine off and put the stock MIM bridge back on my p bass special.

I notice no differance from my badass, which was bought second hand on ebay and pretty beat up. The only thing is the Leo Quan looks meaner. Which is cool because it makes the butt end of your bass look stronger.

i Also put on an old pair of rotosound flats. its nice to have my fender sounding like a BASS. i love those strings.

anyone have a similar experiance with the bridges?

>hanus<

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I think that whether or not a heavier bridge changes the sound of a bass has a lot to do with the weight of the body. Denser, heavier bodies are affected less by a high mass bridge. I've got a very light old P-bass that sounds very different with a BadAss II on it compared to the stock bridge. Tighter lows and more harmonics. Probably just a product of adding to the resonant mass of the bass; whether or not that mass is in the bridge probably doesn't matter that much. But a heavier bridge is an easy way to add mass. And after a certain point, additional mass has no effect; so a heavy bass won't really benefit much, if at all, from a heavier bridge.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    As long as they are both solid bridges with solid contact with the bass, I suppose you're right, probably no difference to the ears. But what Bruce said has me thinking, I've got a lightweight bass in pieces right now, so now's the time for mods :D.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    IMO if you want more ping, less lows, go ahead with your Bad*ss bridge. I've used them on Jazz's and Precisions, as well as other high mass bridges. All they do is add sustain and reduce the lows. The added definition you get is in the high mids. If you like that tone in your bass thats cool.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Did you notice any difference in the "feel" of the strings?

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Aside from the difference in feel of the bridge under my right hand, I didn't notice any "feel" difference.

7. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've got a '76 P that is the lightest bass I own - when I bought it it had a Badass on it, and it sounded fine. But I got a hankering to put the bridge cover back on for aesthetics and it won't fit over the BA. I found a '70's NOS (still on the cardboard) Fender stock bridge made from solid brass (by Fender Brass Works) and have that and a nice new cover on it now. Soundwise I can't tell the difference - it sustains as well as before. String feel doesn't change because the scale remains the same.

And truth be told, those subtle differences in "affected frequencies" are lost on me when playing live. The bass still gives me what I want from a P.