1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Took Out The Steinberger For a Change- Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassclef112, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I like to take a different bass out each time I gig. Had an outdoor gig yesterday afternoon so I decided to dust off my '86 XL-2 and take it for a spin. I have a few of basses so it's been a while since this one hit the rotation. Of course, I checked it out prior to going - battery was still hot and it was still in tune!

Loaded up my Aguilar GS212 and the Mesa M-Pulse 600 and man, this bass sounded awesome! Huge tone, and clear as a bell.

I've had it close to 15 years. Bought it for not very much (relatively speaking) and had Peekamoose do a full refret. It plays like the day it left the showroom, with all original parts intact.

Yes, these really shook up the bass community back when. Now it's a niche instrument to be sure, and definitely an acquired taste. But I am very glad indeed to have one (this one was a NAMM bass when it was built). It is still (to me, being a Fender child) an amazing instrument that does what it does so incredibly well in a completely different way.

Added plus - it always generates comments.
    Younger players want to check it out, and older players wish they didn't sell theirs.....
    85XL2_CU-A1.

2. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Congrats on an awesome bass, and (what sounds like) a good gig.

3. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    A whitey. Is it in the serials register?

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Thanks. And you can't beat playing a Tuna festival for some fun!

Yes it is. That's how I found out it was a NAMM bass.

stacker likes this.
  5. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    There's a whitey over my way - XL2 - but I haven't seen it for a while.

I have two: a transitional Xl and an XL2A. I sold an L2 a couple of years ago and it had the real mellow tone. I sold it to fund an XL2AUF but by time the deal was concluded I lost the option on the UF. The two I have left are keepers.

carsbybigd likes this.
  6. noagreement

noagreement

Oct 12, 2006
    Yo Philly!
    Sweet bass! I always wanted one of those vintage models and search around on occasion, but the prices are stupid these days. The sound from them is really still amazing.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    They're stupid if you're looking at those being sold by a particular Japanese seller. The USA prices are going rate in my books.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice one! Same year as my 86' XP-2, mine had a rock maple body and carbon graphite neck. Like you said, clear as a bell. Still my #1 after all these years, though I did swap the body out from the "flying vee" to something custom mahogany. Don't ever sell it! A milestone in bass tech that will only increase in value.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congratulations!

I only played an XL2 once at a local music store in the 80's, and I really dug it. I remember the store manager was really reluctant to let anyone test drive it. I wish I could've bought that bad boy.

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    When I bought mine, I played the XL-2, the XP, and a Kubicki X-Factor. The XP was cheapest so........

11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I sold mine a few years ago--would love to have another one!

12. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Always wanted one. Had a weird Yamaha headless thing in the 80's--all I could afford at the time. Would love to have an original L2 or XL2.

13. RickenbackerGuy

RickenbackerGuy

Aug 27, 2015
    I had a similar situation with my Stein. I bought mine with the intentions of putting it in the gigging rotation. Picked it up about a year ago, and just took it out last week for its first show:woot::woot:
    Defintely great basses and great tone.......and great conversation pieces for non-musicians!:):)

Totally agree with the Steinberger's being an acquired taste.

Honch and DerekW like this.
  14. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If it was this bass, I had one in the 80's and one again about 6 or 7 years ago. I like most everything about them except the sound.

4434040330_053e4a9c5f.

imabuddha and ERIC31 like this.
  15. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Im one of the older wish i hadnt sold mine guys...I sold it about 6 months or so ago and I really miss it. I think I may have to pick another one up

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yep, that was it. I barely remember how it sounded. I made some bad decisions in the 80's. I let go of my first good bass, a '74 4001, and then a late 70's fretless Fender P, and then a new BB1200, and instead found myself playing this thing and some Ibanez that I thought looked liked Sting's white Spector. Ah, youth . . .

17. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I had one of those white Ibanezes, for the same reason! It was actually a pretty decent bass...

stacker likes this.
  18. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Yes, when will people ever learn about the advantages of these basses? There are way more advantages than caveats, and still people ends up bickering about their other basses with neck dives, dead spots, muddiness, warping necks, going out of tune, intonation problems, yada yada...

This is THE no-problem bass.

On the other hand, I would prefer a full body though, but Steinberger made those too...;)

Gfkfloyd and Bob_Ross like this.
  19. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Actually those cheap Hohner copies too, with licensed bridges. AFAIK I know of numerous musicians having them stored and stashed away, and after 15 years they bring them out without any problems. They're made of wood. Even they still kicks badass and hasn't warped or changed. Mind you that even though Hohner copies are of wood, and very cheap (compared to Steinies) they have NOT a bolt on neck, but a "neck through" sort of.

20. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I'd love one of those old steinberger basses!
    id they come with just one pickup too?