Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Took the Dingwall Plunge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockindoc, Nov 1, 2004.

1. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Last Friday I was loaded up and backing out of the driveway, headed for the Fri-Sat gig, when the Brown truck pulled up with THE PACKAGE, an Ebay acquisition...my first Dingwall.

Already running late, I rearranged an already crowded pickup, stacked the Dingie on top (still in the box), and began the 2 hour drive. No time to take a peek inside the box. Arrghh!

The show went very well. After playing the first two sets with "the old bass" (I'm gonna miss her :bawl: ), and a couple of shots of courage, I unveiled DA AHFTAHBUNNAH! Strapped it on, tuned up, found the volume knob, and let 'er rip. It played like a buttered piano. Easy on the hands, with a comfortable neck and perfect (for me), uniform string tension. It's not heavy, and has good balance. With a clear and pronounced G string, a Cyclopean B string, and everything good in between, even the drummer was impressed ;) .

Saturday night was all Dingwall. The "Old Bass" sat in the corner like a stepchild with a permanent time-out.

The Afterburner I is just a great piece of work. My Z1 savings took a major hit when I pressed BUY IT NOW, but I just couldn't wait.

2. Sweet man, glad to hear you're happy.

Any pics?

-Geoff

3. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    :oops: I knew that was coming. The wife is out of town and took the camera. I'll get 'em up ASAP.

4. Doc-
    Sounds great...fully expect the other basses to forever sit in the corner.
    The only way to displace this AB, buy another Dingwall.
    To me whats really neat is infact your do feel the even string tension, makes a huge difference esp if all you played were fender type basses before
    Welcome to the 37" long B string club
    Pictures please
    frank

5. +1

Welcome to the club!

I don't even go out to look at basses any more, because there is no Dingwall dealer nearby. I have the mandatory P and J basses for the times when I need that sound, but 98% of the time was my Dingwall Afterburner 5 and now it's my Afterburner II 6.

6. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    Congrats, and they are beautiful; how difficult is it to get used to that "fanned fret" arrangement?

7. it takes under 5 mins to get comfortable on these basses. The fanning is purely a visual distraction, your hands already know where to go.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Ain't nothin' to it. The frets in the area you play in most, between the 5th and 9th, are very nearly straight across anyway. Up past the 12th fret it's a little more different, and playing octaves down at the first fret will take a little bit of attention, but the slant of the frets match the angle of your hand pretty well, so it's actually a bit more comfy than a standard bass.

And yes, you can switch back and forth between a standard bass and a Dingwall with no problems. It's really no different than switching between a Fender and something like a Warwick. Different neck, different feel, but not THAT different.

9. Really? So its better not to look? That is an awesome looking bass. Is it much easier to play chords/arpeggios and stuff? It looks very intimidating. My low B is a 36" and now i feel out gunned. But knuckle is making a 39" scale bass guitar.

10. I wouldn't say it is better not to look, only that it seems more difficult to play when you look at it. Once you start playing it doesn't matter, the actual position of the frets has changed so little that it takes only a few minutes to readjust.

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    nice score, I've been hit with Dingwall GAS pretty badly. I want a 6 string purple Z2 or the purple Afterburner 6 string on bass central... yum. I wish my store stocked Dingwalls, or anythign with fanned frets.

12. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    I have to chime in here on the not looking at your hands. I have heard this comment from all sorts of people, and maybe its true for people who have good technique etc... But I have never been able to get away from looking at my hands. during any given session, I probably spend anywhere between 25% to 50% of the time looking at my hands... -I have never had a problem with the visuals on the fanned frets... I suppose its like typing with two fingers... eventually you get good at doing it "your way"...

I find that any time I have a pause or a really long jump to make, I NEED to look at the hands, or else I'm usually off by a fret or two... (keep in mind, that this does not include all those legitimate sour notes that get played "just because"

anyways, take care...

jmk

13. Funny thing is that now when I play me jazz, from my playing position it looks like it is the one with the weird frets. "Hey, why are those frets at such strange angles?... They're all... parallel?".

14. +1 :D

Another thing I find is that after getting used to the small frets on my Dingwall, my Jazz with standard frets feels almost like it is scalloped.

Really though, one of the best things about fanned frets is getting those strange looks from other gutarists and bassists who have never seen them before. (Picture guitarist walking toward me with head cocked sideways and puzzled look on their face) ;)

15. I know exactly what you guys mean. I rountinely switch back-n-forth during gigs (between parallel and fanned frets), and honestly i spend about 10 sec looking down at my fender going wait a minutes something messed up.
    Actually i've not had another guitarist come up to me and say the bass looks funny. They comment on the tone and particularly how "active" sounding it is, but I have only heard whats up w/ your bridge. However after I point out the angle then they pickup on the fan frets, and ask the usual "how can you play w/ those angled frets".

16. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
  17. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    (in Homer Simpson voice): mmm, buttered piano...