Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Took the new EA iAmp 800 to the gig again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Apr 6, 2003.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A follow up to my previous post. This time, instead of using my usual Eden 2-10XLT(s), I used a new EA CxL 12L cab that I just bought. It's the new light weight 12" two-way co-axial cab.

The iAmp 800 head has pretty much proven itself to me in two gigs and a couple of rehearsals. It has a lot of power, extemely variable tone capabilties due to the EQ section, light weight, and a clean, yet warm, articulate bottom, with great highs and mids. I was told by a salesman, before I bought it, that you can get this head to sound like any other brand head if you want to. I didn't really believe it until I tried playing with the EQ section. Not that people would go out and buy an iAmp so that that can make it sound like other amp heads, but this is definitely a testament to the tremendous tone capabilities of the amp's EQ section. I think that most players will use the iAmp to sculpt their own personal tone, rather than try to emulate the tone of heads like Eden, Ampeg, SWR, Woods, GK, etc. I'm really happy with it.

The CxL 12L is another story. This cab is relatively light, has great frequency response, and is capable of being played pretty loud. The low-end and mid-bass is very nice. With my tone settings on the head, the horn put out highs which were clear and refined, yet not harsh or brittle.

On a soft- to medium-volume R & B, funk, cover band gig, I was able to get a fat, articulate, punchy, bottom with nice highs and warm mids playing finger-style. The rig had no problem cranking out a funky Marcus Miller slap tone either.

I recommend both pieces of equipment to anyone interested in getting the tone options mentioned above, all in a very compact rig.

By the way, I've contacted EA a few times for tech support and found their customer service to be excellent. One of the principals, Gary Gilibisco, stands out as the kind of guy who will do whatever he can to provide quality CS!

I'm too lazy to write out all the specs on this stuff, so check out the web site if you're interested in the details.

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/

2. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Howzit Brah,

Sounds like you have a great rig,small and compact.I have a I-Amp & VL 210B that suits my needs just fine.Did you purchase your EA equipment from Easy or ABC/Yamaha?
    I looking into either adding a VL-208 (used of course) or the CxL 112 in the near future.We should have a Hawaiian TB get to together with our fellow local TBer's.

John

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought the head from Austin Basstraders. The owner, Glenn Kawamoto, is orginally from your side of the island. He's very knowledgeable on basses and rigs. I bought the cab from ABC. Yeah, a Hawaii TB meeting would be great. We could call it the first annual TB Big Kahuna Low-End Volcano Eruption! LOL!

4. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Glenn and I are classmates and that's exactly who I purchased my gear from also.We played together in our High School stage band and of course the obligatory garage band.

John

5. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Congrats on getting the CXL112, I've had one on order since February. I wondered who picked up the first one from ABC. Can you tell me if one CXL112 is very loud or do you need two for an average sized gig. I'm currently using an SWR goliath jr. III 2X10 speaker, but I was hoping that the EA would be lighter, smaller and louder. Thanks!

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just to give you an idea of what I'm using as for comparison, I had been running a 1001rb with one 2-10XLT cab (sometimes 2 cabs for larger indoor and out door gigs). IME, a single CxL 12L can handle most smaller lounges, clubs, and restaurants around town assuming that your bandmates are not volume-fiends who crank their amps. Provided you're running it with adequate power, the cab will give you plenty of clean low-end punch and volume. It is surprisingly loud for its compact small size. Naturally, any 12" driver does have its physical limitations, so it will eventually bottom-out if you push it beyond its capabilities. Two cabs would probably work better for larger and louder gigs. If you have a chance try to catch the 808 Band which is playing around town, their bassman is an old friend and he is using two EA CxL 12s -- and he sounds great!

EA told me that one CxL 12 cab is louder than a 2-10 cab ( because of its transmission line design vs the conventional slotted ports for most 2-10s), but I haven't made that comparison with my Eden yet. I haven't decided if I'm going to unload my two Eden cabs and buy a second CxL 12L; I've been thinking about it. As much as I love the new EA cab, I still like the sound of my Eden XLTs. I'm really happy with the CxL 12L because it's a really good sounding, compact, light-weight cab, perfect for playing small- to medium-size gigs around town where you have to lug your gear from the loading area to the stage. Those XLTs give me a back ache every once in awhile.

7. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Hey guys looks like we got us a all Hawaii thread going here,now all we need to hear from are Showdown,Garrett and the few on the neighbor islands.I think a get together should be in order soon,I got the space and facilities to accomomdate us and if they are on island Eden,SWR & Ampeg bass rigs,so that nobody would have to lug there gear.

John

8. Aloha guys,

If I can, I'll fly over from Maui.

Give me an email if you make it over here. Join us in Wailuku for our regular Wednesday night garage jam.

A Hui Hou,

Jonathan
    kalepa@maui.net

9. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm really hoping that I can get away with just one. I hurt my back a couple of months ago and now I need to go as light as possible. I've ordered a Eden traveler head that I'm going to pair up with the EA. EA told me the same thing that the CXL112 should be louder than the 2X10. They also told me that they changed the horn in them which is now suppose to be smoother sounding and 2lbs lighter.

I just started playing again and the guys I play with are pretty loud. I'm using only one SWR goliath jr with a SWR Bass 350 head and it's barely making it. Several times I've had to bring out the second goliath jr which really makes the setup heavy.

Does the EA seem more efficient? Have you pushed it to the max yet? Thanks.

10. john b carvalho

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Cool Jonathan thanks for posting,I did not want to call you that guy in Wailuku.I do not travel as much as I used to,I actually lived in Kahului from Jan 96 -Dec 97 managing the company office.Hey isn't there another TB on Maui?

John

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mikefish07,

It might be real close, as far as whether or not one cab will be enough for competing in your band's mix. Although this cab is very loud given its physical size and the fact that it just has one 12", it does have its limitations like any other piece of gear.

Buy it and don't sweat it, you'll have a great sounding cab. If it's not enough to keep up with your band's volume, you can sell the SWRs and buy a second CxL 12L. As a standard disclaimer though, I recommend that you try other cabs that are out there first, in order to make sure that the EA is the one you really like.

You're right on about the CxL 12L's horn being smooth sounding. It's got great high-mids and treble response, without being harsh or brittle.

Glad to hear from you J. Starr, a fellow MTD brother. Maybe one of these days we can indeed get all the Hawaii TBers together.

12. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    gfab333:

Thanks again for the comments. I was getting a little worried about the new setup, I guess I'll just have to wait until the parts come together.

I'm glad to hear that there is a Hawaii connection. I've been a keyboard player for the last 20+ years and only recently picked up the bass since you bass guys have all the fun.