Took the new EA iAmp 800 to the gig for the first time...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, Mar 22, 2003.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    and sounded great. You definitely need to take the time to familiarize yourself with the EQ section. it's got a lot more to it, as compared to my GKs "bass / low-mid / hi-mid / treble" format. the amp just came in yesterday, so I didn't have that much time to play around with all those great features.

All those variable "tone shaping" controls, as EA calls them, give you a tremendous number of possible tone options. The preset contour tone settings are also very usable. The built-in tuner is also very nice; it's great to have the tuner lit up right on the front face of the amp -- very easy to tune up on the fly. The gig was a soft / medium volume gig, so I wasn't able to push the envelope on the gain to see how loud she can get. I've been told by a number of players that this amp puts out a tremendous amount of clean power. I hope to take it out for a test run this week; I'd like to push it to the amp's high-volume threshold and see what kind of tonality you get at such levels.

Anybody know what that tiny red light is for? the one inside the amp chassis, mounted on an internal board, toward the rear? it's only visible if you look at the amp from behind, through the rear or side air vents. maybe a pilot light for the power amp stage?
  2. Pilot light!? Your amp is gas powered?! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes, it the new propane version.

Ok,OK. it's just little red light. located on a board just inside the rear of the amp chassis. I'll check with EA.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey 2-many-drummers,

Even the owners of EA call it a "pilot light". here's Larry's response to my emailed-question.

I guess the function of the light is for troubleshooting a situation where your amp appears to be on (given the amp's on/off light being on at the front of the amp), but you're not getting any sound out of your cab. If this particular pilot light is off, then you'll know that your power amp has failed. but as all iAmp 800 owners would hope, this is never gonna happen.

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2003 9:21 AM
    Subject: RE: small red light inside iAmp 800

It is as you speculated the pilot light for the power amp board.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

kinda like my Tyan motherboard for my computer. has a green light, and a set of 4 lights to help trouble shoot.
  6. I'm going to invent a gsa powered amp. I'm shooting for several kilowatts
  7. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Wouldn't you hear a difference in sound if your power amp failed?:meh:
  8. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Sure Rockbobby. However, your sound could also totally cut out due to a large number of other problems which can't be diagnosed without putting the amp in the shop.

If you have no sound and you notice that this light is out, you'll immediately know that the power amp is the problem. I take it that this is just a minor feature that would enable you to easily determine if you have a problem with the power amp specifically, as opposed to having total sound failure and have no idea what the problem is. this is just my perspective.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Make that BTU's and I'm with ya.

Congrats on the combo, gfab.
  10. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Lookin' forward to hearing how she sounds when you pour the steam to her.