Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

took the p/g off my cruise bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vic_6, Jul 11, 2005.

1. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i'm not sure if this is in the right forum...

i just took out the pickguard of my hamer cruise 2tek. and i like it better lookin like this. thing is though, there's a mark from the p/g. the color isnt as faded as the body's and there's dust collected where the p/g's corners were.

is there any way i can balance them out colorwise aside from aging? and what should i use to take dust out? wipe it down with that kind of solution? scared that i might screw up the paint job n stuff...

thanks guys!

vic

2. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    yeah! i wish mine was a burst too! but now that i've taken off the p/g, the "flea-ish" blue is much better lookin :bassist:

yeah, did that just now. and it worked just fine. :)

thanks joshua! you da man! :bassist:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pictures! Never seen a Cruise bass without a pickguard.

4. Imagine a Jazz bass without a pickguard. Voila. :meh:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whoa. Freaky.

6. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

that pickguard always looked a little too weird for me...

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like it.

8. THIS MAY WORK...carefully apply a UV- mask (dark construction paper, or even sunblock cream would probably work) over the area that was NOT covered under the pickguard, thus exposing only the pickguard area...leave it in a southerly facing window (if your in the northern hemisphere) for about a week or so, and see if the colours start to line up...

eventually, over time, the whole thing should equalise out, anyway...but this is just an idea I had for hastening the process...

if you have a home tanning bed (don't laugh, many people do...you could try using that, too

9. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    i like. stickthe screws back n the holes and it will look like a clear guard. i like the flash non pickguard pickguard look.

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    IMO it's really not that noticeable, especially if you never saw it with a pickguard on it in the first place.

11. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    tplyons: sorry, you like the p/g or how it looks now? dont quite get it. if you mean the p/g, well i'm more of a vintage fender p/g fan.. but im happpy with it now, so i aint stressin.

pilbarabass: well, im from south east asia. practically by the equator, so i guess i wont have to worry much about getting it "tanned". i'll just go play for like 3 outdoor gigs and it'll probably even out. haha!
    seriously though, i probably wont do anythin like that... or remotely close to leavin it under the sun.. dont wanna ruin it. love it too much. hehe!

6_string: yeah, imma try putting the screws back later.

junior: yeah? maybe you're right and im just being a little obsessive/compulsive here..

12. Why not make a clear pickguard?!? Instead of just sticking screws back innit. Or some wood fil and touch up paint and all that?

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the funky pickguard on the cruise bass. Particularly in black and white. Call me crazy. :)

14. GoLow

GoLow

Jun 21, 2005
    Georgia
    It makes it look kinda like a Lakland to me....but that's just me. :bassist:

15. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    mon rominee: yeah? how would i go about making a clea p/g?

philbiker: yeah? well to each his own right? :) it's just a bit too different from what i'm used to i guess. and it never grew on me.

GoLow: hmmm...you're right...it kinda does... well that' fine with me! :D

vic