1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Took the plunge redux Wilfer

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Red Planet, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    After a short time with an old beater Bass I found a good deal on an Emanuel Wilfer Hybrid

It obviously needed work so I took it to Ronald Sachs. He said I did good and got the deal of a lifetime.

I should be Picking it up in a week and a half.

I will post pics when I get a chance.

I am so excited to get it back and get busy Gigging with the thing.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Congrats! I fell in love with a Wilfer once, but it wasn't priced as a deal here, so I had to pass. They can be really nice bases, though.

You should get years of pleasure and work out of an instrument like that. Maybe a lifetime.

Look forward to pictures.

Troy

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thanx.

It's getting a new Fingerboard, Bridge, End Pin, Cable, Strings, Pickup, Case, Cleanup, and Setup.

The Fingerboard was coming loose but after Ronald looked at it, he said it was warped and needed replacing.

I can not say enough how nice Ronald Sachs is. I was on a tight budget and he is making it happen.

I can not wait to get it back.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Took these when I got it home. Will have to take some more when I get it back.

100_0183.

100_0184.

100_0185.

5. wdnewman

wdnewman

Apr 13, 2009
    Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! You are doing this the right way, Red Planet, and you won't be sorry about it either. Better to get started correctly with the right gear than to fool around trying to make a cheap bass playable.

6. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    This has been a difficult ordeal. I have have been looking/researching for about a year. After all my research and scouring I still screwed up several times. I'm just a big ol dummy. :D

I purchased a Bass that upon reflection was going to take waaaaay more money than I had to get it right. I sold that. I then purchased a Bass that was really nice at a great price, only to figure out the fingerboard was coming loose after I got it home. Then finding out it needed a whole new fingerboard when I got it over to Sachs as well as all the other stuff it needed.

It was everything the entire sum of my being could do to make all this happen, afford the bass, and afford the repairs. This may have even took a couple years off my life obsessing over it all. :eek::D

The really tough things about getting in to Upright is the knowledge and cost involved.

Playing is such a pleasure. My ears perk up when I close my eyes and listen.

I'm on the road to a full recovery from all this and will be gigging with it soon (he said as he crossed his fingers). :)

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    When all is said and done, you'll be smiling broadly! You're on the right path. Enjoy. :)

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I sure hope so. The anticipation is killing me but I'll manage somehow.:)

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I was in a hurry when I posted those pics and forgot I took some others later that day. Here's a few more that are better.

100_0206.

100_0211.

100_0212.

100_0214.

100_0215.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Got my bass back today. :hyper:

Man oh man it is nice.

Got a chance to plug it in a play for a while. I like this pickup.

This thing plays really well and sounds tons better. Just glad I made it this far. I opted for a round fingerboard, it came with a beveled one.

Have two Gigs booked next weekend I can use it on. Can not wait. One is a local pub in Roswell and the other is a reception for a new MD fresh out of Med School. Both gigs should be interesting with each in largely differing rooms.

I'll be using my trusty Monolithical Shuttle 9.0 without FOH for either. From what I've heard with the Realist and the Shuttle so far, should have no trouble keeping up. :bassist: