Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Took the trip to Rondo, bought the new Brice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by florentinepogen, Sep 23, 2003.

1. I took my first trip to Rondo Music yesterday after reading all the raves about Essex and Brice basses. It was a nice place, really nice sales staff (for a change).

I went mainly to check out their short scale offerings. I was thinking about getting the short scale P and rodding it out a bit. It sounded alright and the neck wasn't bad, but the nut was a disaster and the nut slot was way too thin. I really don't want to go do far as to start cutting into the neck. Still, not bad for $99.

Their viola bass was pretty nice. Very light, nice deep acoustic sound. The finish was great except for some of the binding.

Then I spied this beauty...

[​IMG]

I had to have her. I really can't beleive the quality of this bass for the price. It plays great, the action needs a small adjustment to cure some buzz. The pickups sound great. The bridge is nice and punchy and the neck adds the low down rumble. The finish is aboslutely flawless. It doesn't show as much grain as a Gibson, but for this price who cares. There is even a thick layer of shielding paint in the control cavity...I was shocked.

Its definitely neck heavy, but not as bad a the short scale P. I think changing the strap button locations and a set of ultrlaites will balance her out. The wrap over bridge doesn't allow for individual string intonation, but there are two small screws on the back of the bridge that allow you to change the angle of the whole bridge. Still, I'll probably slap a regualr tunomatic on there. I'll probably replace all the pots and the switch and add a push pull to allow the two pickups to be wired series/parallel. Also, there is a small part of the pickguard that isn't bevelled, but thats an easy fix.

She'll be one great rock bass real soon.

I also picked up a slightly damaged case for $5. It fits my new baby and is an easy fix with a little plywood.

Thanks to everyone for recomending Rondo, I ca'nt wait to go back.

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Cool, man. Good luck with that baby. It is purty.

I am going back up there in October, cant wait to see the new Brices myself!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    my precious.

*kills*

its me birthday presents.

4. Finally someone snagged one of those ones! Put sound clips up man, I wanna hear dis thing.

Just wondering, how is the intonation on it? Is it like dead on or close or what?

Also, if your going to have a fix-it-up bass, Essex/Brice basses are the best ones you can get for it IMO! Good job and have fun doin some modifications ;) ~ Tyler

5. If you get a chance to play the Brice v2 Active 6 string, take the chance and lemme know how it is (expecting a review here!) because I am seriously considering one. ~ Tyler

6. Also tell about the new HXB 6 string if you could. I saw one person say that there was a little fret buzz on his, so I want to know if they are all like that or he just got a bad apple...

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    That bass looks awesome. I owned an Essex SJB-62 with the quilted top not too long ago and that bass was unbelievable for the price.

8. I've got to give her a good setup first, but the intonation is dead on. I'll post some clips soon.

9. Sweet dude! Get em up soon :) Im getting anxious to hear it now!