Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool album 1-17-06, fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lackey, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So this is the rumor, we have yet to see if it truly pans out... And hopefully it's not like $30 like Richard Bona's new album - I'm not into that...

Spread the propaganda, and if it comes out on Tuesday, pos' dem reviews!

2. Since last year the release was supposed to be in march though it has been delayed again, to sometime still in spring(Which I guess means that I won't be out before august in Tool time). Check out Toolband for news.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hope they have a song with tribal drums, and then Maynard whispering... then a sustained scream. That would be weirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd

4. Ten

Ten

Oct 3, 2005
    Man, I've recently been getting into them again. I sure do hope it comes out soon...

5. Is this the one with Fripp on it?
    i thought i saw a thread many moons ago where there was a pic of fripp playing with tool...maybe ben strange put it up?
    am i hallucinating?

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yep, I heard King Crimson is doing some stuff with them.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you don't like it don't comment...

8. tvolkmann80

tvolkmann80

Jan 3, 2006
    Colorado
    King Krimson??..

That will definately be different.

Maybe they should do something with King Diamond too..JK

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Uhm.... no, I'll comment anyway... thanks.

For the record... I'm curious about this album. Tool to me is a band of potential. I'm looking forward to seeing if this album makes me like Tool. To me they are a band of restraint, if they took "their sound" over the top, they'd really be on to something.

10. I hope fripp isn't on it. Then stupid tool sheeps will accuse him of ripping of the Tool Guitar dude.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think the plural of sheep is goose.

I'll leave this thread alone, but the reason I object to "If you don't like it, don't comment" is because... well, have you seen any other thread here on talkbass?

How's this for an example.

"H1 My Nam3 iz J0sh, i'm 13 n f13ldY iz teh greAtizt bazziztztztzz."

You think only Fieldy fans would reply to that thread?

12. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO

***? :meh: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That said, if you don't like Carey's drumming or Maynard's vocals which makes up much of Tool's style don't count on them changing. They're not an over the top band that goes out to impress people or become popular. The restraint you hear is just their style.

They released some DVD's in December that had a sticker on them that said to look for a new album in the spring. Maybe it'll be in the stores by April, maybe not. With the time they usually have between albums, I woulden't think they are in a hurry to get this one out there either.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    April is the date i heard.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You misunderstand what I mean by "over the top." I mean over the top creativity... not "Dream Theater" style 90% of the song is a solo kinda deal. They seemed content last album to crank out the same 2 songs over and over again.

I like Carey's drumming... I like Maynard's voice... but A) He needs to lay off the "studio" vocals/pitch correction/etc B) His dynamic range bothers me, most of the time he's whispering... if he's not.

I like the rhythm of Tool... the melody is the problem. Adam Jones plays the same three note lead in like every song, and Maynard's vocals sound the same every song.

Maybe what I meant by "over the top" is more exploratory. Lateralus was just a laid back Anemia... I want them to sound like Tool, but better. ;)

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I, met a boy, wearing Van, 501s, and a
    Dope, Beastie t, nipple rings,
    New tattoos that claim that he
    Was OGT,
    back from '92,
    on the first EP.

And in between
    Sips of Coke
    He told me that
    He thought
    We were sellin' out,
    Layin' down,
    Suckin' up
    To the man.

Well now I've got some
    A-dvice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point your finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

And if I'm the man,

Then you're the man, and
    He's the man as well so you can
    Point that ****in' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb ****.
    I sold out long before you ever even heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip ****,
    And then you bought one.

I've got some
    Advice for you, little buddy.
    Before you point your finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,

If I'm the ****in' man
    Then you're the ****in' man as well
    So you can
    Point that ****in' finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb ****.
    I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
    Dip ****,
    And you bought one.

All you read and
    Wear or see and
    Hear on TV
    Is a product
    Begging for your
    Fatass dirty
    Dollar

Shut up and

Buy my new record
    Send more money
    **** you, buddy.

16. king diamond? nope... king harvest...

anyways, hey matt, Tool is awesome :)
    lol
    anyways, I think Tool is pretty good, I'm not planning on camping out the night before to get the cd or anything, but i would like to hear the fripp/tool interaction, Those are two guitarists that are influential to me, just because they don't always play "notes" or "chords" but will make noise with their guitars...matt...you've heard my attempt at the adam jones type playing with my experimental myspace band, the third order of the slaphappy pinapple...:)

17. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Gotcha, agree to disagree. I've always thought of them as pretty creative-especially Justin and Danny's techniques. Adam Jones could use a little more variety in his playing though.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

aha ahh A-HA!!! SO then we agree to agree!! I said I like Danny... Justin is pretty good. Minus Maynard, WE AGREE TO AGREE.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAh

I'm high on life.

19. I think they are all good, meynard is good, but I think he is far overrated as a singer...

granted i say maynard is good because my singing is very poor, and i can't do any better...plus I'd rather listen to maynard then rappers or pop singer, or the fallout boy-type vocals.

20. I swear Matt, your going down in the Talkbass history books...:smug:

Anywho, I believe the album is due out in spring, which means we probably wont see it until May or June at the latest. As I've said before, this album is said to be the heaviest yet. Hopefully this means more of an Undertow and Opiate influence, Lateralus left me wanting more.

And Adam worked with Adrian Belew on this one. Maybe Fripp also, but I know for a fact he worked with Belew. I guess when they were on tour together someone made friends.

Adam posted recording pictues on his myspace giving us a hint on the release date, but we all know Tool. They must speak to the fans in ****ing code and s***...