Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool concert question 8/18

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Aug 19, 2002.

1. I ust got back from the Tool concert at the Verizon Center and it was awsome. I have a question, does anyone know what maynard was playing? The neck looked too long to be a guitar but it didnt look like bass. Anybody seen this tour?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I was wondering that too... It looked like a headless guitar or bass from where I was standing. Maybe a baritone guitar?

3. I think it had a headstock, but Maynards not a short guy and he had it hangin pretty low, but the headstock, or whatever saw on top, was above his shoulder. I was so happy they played H. and Opiate. Who was that dude who came out and did some extra percussion?

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I was pretty far away from the stage, so it was hard to see Maynard. On a Tool forum, somebody referred to Maynard's instrument as a "synth guitar." Whether it is a synth guitar or not I don't know.

The guy providing percussion during Triad is Danny's drum tech, John (Paul?), according to some reviews, and John Stanier from Tomahawk according to others. I don't know which is correct.

5. it wasnt the drummer from Tomahawk unless he changed all of his clothes before he came out. I thought Tomahawk was horrible, and I didnt get what would be fun about "partying Tomahawk style" (3 fingers...).

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You're not alone in thinking that, but I disagree.

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    at the continental show on the 15th maynard played two different instruments - one was a headless guitar, the other a bass, i had crappy seats though so i cant tell you details, i did get a good view of the headless guitar and i can confirm thats what it is, the bass in triad though, no clue.