1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tool concert question 8/18

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Aug 19, 2002.

1. I ust got back from the Tool concert at the Verizon Center and it was awsome. I have a question, does anyone know what maynard was playing? The neck looked too long to be a guitar but it didnt look like bass. Anybody seen this tour?

2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I was wondering that too... It looked like a headless guitar or bass from where I was standing. Maybe a baritone guitar?

3. I think it had a headstock, but Maynards not a short guy and he had it hangin pretty low, but the headstock, or whatever saw on top, was above his shoulder. I was so happy they played H. and Opiate. Who was that dude who came out and did some extra percussion?

4. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I was pretty far away from the stage, so it was hard to see Maynard. On a Tool forum, somebody referred to Maynard's instrument as a "synth guitar." Whether it is a synth guitar or not I don't know.

The guy providing percussion during Triad is Danny's drum tech, John (Paul?), according to some reviews, and John Stanier from Tomahawk according to others. I don't know which is correct.

5. it wasnt the drummer from Tomahawk unless he changed all of his clothes before he came out. I thought Tomahawk was horrible, and I didnt get what would be fun about "partying Tomahawk style" (3 fingers...).

6. oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    You're not alone in thinking that, but I disagree.

7. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    at the continental show on the 15th maynard played two different instruments - one was a headless guitar, the other a bass, i had crappy seats though so i cant tell you details, i did get a good view of the headless guitar and i can confirm thats what it is, the bass in triad though, no clue.