Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool Concert review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Aug 17, 2002.

1. VERY VERY VERY VERY good.. infact, GREAT! alot of effort and soul went into this concert by all the guys (as i suspect every show does) the set list i can barely remember, except they did Sober, Stinkfist, Lateralus, Disposition/Reflection/Traid but not in that order, maybe ImNotGeddyLee could help me make myself look like an Ass again.

2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I was getting ready to ask how that went man. I've heard they put on one hell of a show.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Good sound, cool background/projecters. But kinda lacking energy, they kinda just stand there.

4. Odie, focusing on the stage alone, it does lack something, but all of the members of tool are really shy (espically Maynard). I think they realize it, and make up for it with the artwork projections..

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Not knocking it, I would see them everytime they come to town.
    They are better now that they have a production, in the years past they were pretty boring especially during daylight festivals.

Sonic wise they were perfect!!

6. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Actually they are not shy, but they feel that the music is the star and don't want to be like the rest of mainsteam artists. the show and the pictures and the music are the stars.

7. yup, and they were great, but alot of people didn't like them in the bathroom, but fortunitly no one got booed

8. Good, I'm glad they didn't get booed like they do at a lot of other Tool shows. I love Tomahawk.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    at the daytona show, justin was rockin' out.

and maynard, as my dad put it, "wasn't just feelin' the music; he was LIVING it!"

he would throw his arms and torso at the floor (not onto floor; don't be mistaken) in time with the music.

adam is always focused on his playing, and danny just makes the most intricate drumming look effortless.

here's my review from toolshed.down.net:

10. i fully agree BBB, it was a religous experience!

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think my dad became a "tool convert" during that concert!

wahoo!!

he said that it was probably the best concert he's EVER been to, and he's about as old as rock-n-roll! :)eek: :D ).

btw, tomorrow celebrates the two week anniversary of tool's daytona show.........................................................................and my 17th birthday!

:D :D :D

'brad

(blatant plagiarist. sue me, merls.)

12. so did my mom! :eek: she now has thing for Maynard... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

lemme guess: maynard wore his speedo!?!

(and thanks. allz i ask for is a thread dedicated to me by tomorrow.....j/k).

:D

and back on topic: i just wasn't diggin' the mix-danny was too loud, imo, and justin was kinda buried.

i really liked the bassplayer from tomahawk's tone. in fact, that's the reason why i'm playing with 1.21mm picks currently!

14. yeah, Tomahawk was good, but i couldn't place my finger on what kind of bass he was playing

15. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I just saw Tool August 10th at the Baltimore Arena and I think they put on a hell of a show. No complaints about them,although Maynard could have been a little louder. In response to them standing still,drugs??? I know I wouldn't want to be running around on stage if my bass was melting...Or maybe that's just the way they play,I stand still a good bit,I focus more on my playing and being precise than running around wasting my energy.

Now,Tomahawk....I hope you are all joking about this band. People complain about Kud(Chad) from Mudvayne screaming and being incoherent,Tomahawk's singer is 10 times as bad in that area. I couldn't understand a single word/screeching sound that came out of his mouth. The bassist.....please do not get me started here. This guy played about 5 different notes the entire show,complete lack of talent IMO. Nice bass,nice tone,horrible bassist. I think any single one of us here at TB could have made better basslines. The drummer was consistent,which completely throw's me off guard of why they didn't find a bassist that could do something besides playing an A on the E sting the entire set....big disappointment IMO. Of course,this is all my opinion,hence the subject. Anyone else find Tomahawk to be nothing less than connections in the industry? -Luke

16. :rolleyes: OK... MY 8TH TOOL SHOW
    PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY REVIEWED THE SHOW... I JUST
    WANNA STATE
    TOOL FANS ARE **************** MORON LOSERS....
    WELL WAIT A MINUTE!!! THATS RIGHT THOSE GUYS ARENT
    EVEN TOOL FANS... THEY ARE THE FRAT BOY POZER TOOL
    FANS WHO GO TO THE SHOW TO SAY THEY WENT AND ALL
    THEY KNOW IS SOBER AND SCHISM. DURING A BEAUTIFUL
    PIECE OF MUSIC YOU DONT RIP UP THE CHAIRS AND START
    MOSHING AND PUSHING I WAS CENTER FRONT ROW AND.... I
    CAME TO EXPERIENCE TOOL NOT TO KILL SOMEONE.. YOU
    WANNA GET HAMMERED AS YOU CAN AND MOSH? GO TO
    SLIPKNOT... ******** LOSERS.... WORST CROWD AT A TOOL
    SHOW I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE
    REAL TOOL FANS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT
    DANNY.... I LOVE YOU FOR DOING WHAT YOU DO.... YOU
    ARE NOT ******* HUMAN.... HOW DO YOU PLAY LIKE THAT!!!

EDIT(JT): :rolleyes: you know better, ff. language! :mad:

17. I managed to see a TooL show when they came thought last April, and it was one of the best experiances of my life. The small complaints I had about the sound were totally drowned out by the entire experiance of being at the show. I came out of that show with my jaw on the floor and my eyes the size of hubcaps. A totally mesmerizing experiance.

I'm glad you had a good time, too.

Rock on
    Eric

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    freaky, take your ritalin and calm down, you're too young for a heart attack. ;)

tool = music therefore thread = misc.

19. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    They are FAR from just "connections in the industry". They're on an independent label and were tapped for the opening slot because the guys in Tool like their music.

As I said in another thread, I think Tomahawk's music is better suited to small venues. There is a lot of subtlety and complexity in their sound that gets lost in a huge cavern like the Baltimore Arena.

Anyway, here's a recent news quote from Ipecac Records' website:
    Oh and it is not necessary to send us e-mails apologizing to Tomahawk for TOOL crowds. The band is going over better than expected and enjoys the jeering as much as the cheering. The band is not going to hold it against your city. They are big boys.

:D