Tool content ( justin chancellor amps)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rycebag, Jan 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    I never really listen to TOOL that much but in the past year I started to listen more. The show at the bill graham was insane on Thursday. The music along with Alex Grey visuals really take the music to a whole other level. I now see why so many people are obsessed with Justin chancellors tone! haha. They opened up with Led Zeppelin's No quarter and that was it for me after that (I never got heavy into zeppelin but, no quarter is one of my favorite songs from them!). what frequencies do you guys think he's cutting and boosting especially mids? I switch between using a mesa boogie bigblock 750 and walkabout. I know this has definitely been discussed before but I am not at all trying to achieve exact tone as I know there is so many variables to that. just interested in how he gets that hit you in your gut sound. it was the first show I've been to where my insides were rumbling and I HAD to use ear plugs! haha EPIC.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  2. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    He pushes a ton of mids, and I can dial in a passable Schism tone using a B7K. He also runs one dirty cab and one clean cab, a demeter, and a ton of effects, all coming from a Wal mk2.

3. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Yeah he's got a lot going on. I'm just wondering what frequencies he's cutting/boosting to sit in the mix like that

4. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Tool concerts are the best!

5. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Yes sir

6. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    As much as I love Tool, pretty much all I know about JC's gear is that he has a monster pedal board, and plays Wal basses. Perhaps Mesa and GK amplification at some point?

Tool's "No Quarter" is seriously one of the greatest pieces of music ever recorded, IMO.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  7. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    The electronics in his Wal scoop the tone. He cuts mids and boosts contour on his heads. The increase in contour scoops his tone even more. His pedalboard is a different beast altogether and is more for adding depth and nuances, rather than being in-your-face effects.

Best bet on settings? Boost bass, cut mids, flat high, enough gain for just a hint of breakup, maybe add a chorus pedal.

JC%20siganl%20chain_zps6smswj8u.

JC%20amp%20settings_zpsvyle6cvu.

jasper383 likes this.
  8. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    Sick. After listening to more tool, to me it kind of sounds like the cut is happening somewhere around 800hz and maybe a boost somewhere from 50hz to 200hz. Would you guys agree?

9. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    That was the song they opened with and like I said, it literally was shaking my insides from the rumble of how heavy it was. Then that's when I realized why so many people just want to know exactly what he has going on!.... Hahaha. I'm not trying to get super deep about it though

10. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    West Los Angeles

11. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    I've seen this vid before. I find myself nowadays liking the sound of dual amp rigs clean/dirty more and more these days. Not only for bass, but guitar too

dukeisdog likes this.
  12. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    I saw Tool last night in San Diego. The show was amazing. The sound was killer. You could hear every instrument clearly and especially all the effects Justin was using. The vocals were even louder in the mix than previous Tool shows I've seen. Add in the cool visuals and the show was perfect.

Primus kicked butt too!

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  13. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    damn you saw them with primus? there was a band called 3teeth that opened for them is SF. I never got into TOOl until last year when I listened to 10000 days. Then I saw a joe rogan podcast after that with maynard on it. really interesting dude. And after that show, I understand why people are die hard about them. The Alex Grey art visuals with there music really take the music to another level
    image.

14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I was lucky enough to see them play the Hollywood Palladium in the late 90s. Great show.
    Justin's tone is a hot topic around here.
    Barring the "It starts with the player" stuff, it starts with his Wal basses. Those things have a gritty, biting attack that is almost as identifiable as a P-bass or Warwick Thumb. He uses a pick and really digs in. The last time I checked, he used GK amps and cabs, which have a great presence in the mids, which is perfect for his attack. The pedals he is most known for are a Digitech Whammy of some kind, and a Boss chorus. A lot of chin scratching has gone into trying to figure out his overdrive tone. Personally I think it is the bass pushing the amp really hard most of the time. What he uses during the obviously distorted parts I'm not sure of.

Update: After watching the video, I do remember people talking him using the Tech 21. The Rat is news to me.

15. Rycebag

Feb 22, 2008
    to me it kind of sounds like the cut is happening somewhere around 800hz and maybe a boost somewhere from 50hz to 200hz. Would you guys agree

16. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Having owned a dozen or so Wals, I can say that they are naturally very mid- and low-mid heavy, and it's not exactly easy to scoop the kids with the Wal electronics. His tone always sounded like the typical low-mid heavy Wal tone to me...

bassvirtuoso likes this.
  17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I wouldn't hazard a guess on his EQ.

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Most of his tone comes from pick. Live you are probably hearing the work of some of the best hands on board that money can buy. The gut punch is dialed in FoH. My experiences of JC live have always been a clangy boomy scooped tone although I didnt have great seats.

JC's tone (IMO):

40% pick
    10% wal, amp, cab
    40% compression & studio processing

I loved the classic JC tone you hear on Lateralus. 10,000 is a bit washed up lil too processed (like a compressed "arena" sound on every note).

The poor man's way to get his type of tone just use a Sansamp BDDI in front of a standard rock amp. Mesa rig if you want to more easily get the clarity he is known for.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  19. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    Tool 3. Tool 1. Here are a few pics from last night.

20. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Yorba Linda, Ca
    3Teeth were playing when we got in the arena. They were just a horrible sounding industrial act with no bass player. It was just noise to me.

I was pleasantly surprised by Primus though. I hadn't seen them live since '91 or '92 when they opened for Rush. They were super tight and the audience was totally into them. Great opening act.