1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tool "Fear Inoculum"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Aug 30, 2019.

1. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I feel obligated to post this:

What's everyone's take? Gotta ask. Sounds very similar to the end portions of Lateralis/10k, and less an evolution. In that regard, after so long, I'm not stoked. But overall, I like it. I feel like if you were shown this knowing zero Tool you would lose your mind. It's just a weird type of polished to my ear.

2. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Well the Basstone is there that's for sure :D Give me a Wal NOW ! Seriously I think it's a solid piece overall, but it is similar to Lateralis/10k yes. And I mean they have THEIR sound, they sound like nobody else and that's quite a feat these days IMHO.

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Each album leading up to this had increasingly more stuff and fewer songs on them. 10,000 Days only has 3 or 4 real songs on it. So the change to free form ambience isn't surprising. For me it is disappointing, but not surprising.
    I've only listened to the pre release tracks a little. I can listen to instrumental or highly complex pieces as long as something is there to keep me focused. The problem with ambient music is that it is supposed to be unfocused and atmospheric. That really just lends it towards being background music, IMO.
    I went into this pretty sure there was no way Tool would meet everyone's expectations after all this time. I'm not heartbroken since I've sort of moved on. I would have liked at least one Vicarious or The Pot. Oh well.

Element Zero and zmebass76 like this.
  4. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    7empest is epic...just fantastic...the rest of the album is ok to me....

deeptubes, dabis, gepettus and 4 others like this.
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Just a question: When I look to buy the CD, I only get offers for around 80 bucks for the limited edtion special package.
    Will there be a CD that's CD only soon ? I hate to buy MP3s.

byoung93888 likes this.
  6. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Last I heard from a local independent shop was there's no word on a release of the standard physical copy yet. Just the $80 Ltd edition pack...makes zero sense to me...
    In the meantime check out "infest the rats nest" by king gizzard and the lizard wizard..very solid album!!

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'll go with the Bandcamp version then. Just want to make sure the biggest possible amount of $ will go to the artist.

Tommy V likes this.
  8. stubborne

stubborne Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    I caught you a delicious BASS!

9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

It sounds like a cross between Tool and Maynards other effort A Perfect Circle.

I really dig it personally.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Heard the new stuff. Just OK. Honestly, after 13 years, I was expecting more. IMHO, Lateralus was the pinnacle. Think those days are gone.

11. I bought a presumably legal FLAC download from hdtracks.com

Might have to use VPN from outside US.

12. My first impression puts it somewhere between Lateralus and 10,000 Days. However, IMO Tool has never been a band that gives you immediate gratification. I generally have to let their albums grow on me, but it is usually well worth the patience.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  13. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Just purchased it this morning around 5:00 AM.

Here at work so cant listen to the entirety, but I like what I’ve heard so far.

As with all Tool albums, it is going to take a couple of months to completely sink in.

nibs208 and byoung93888 like this.
  14. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Danny drums in beast mode all the way through

15. EricMordus

EricMordus

Aug 29, 2013
    NYC
    I listen to TOOL to go into a "zone". They have their own vibe and it's awesome

16. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

target has them for sale for $40....i believe retail for the deluxe CD case is $45.... every other place selling for more is just price gouging

fretter and byoung93888 like this.
  17. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    There was a time in my life when I would have been one of the first in line to pick this up. But so much time has past and I now find that my tastes have shifted dramatically. I wish them great success with this one, but it's just not my thing anymore. The bright side is that maybe they will gain new fans from a new generation of music lovers.

Element Zero, chadface, uusak and 2 others like this.
  18. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I was not blown away with it on a first listen. Not a driving as other stuff they put out. Like others said sound like perfect circle

19. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    My first thought on hearing it was "Yup, sounds like Tool...", I haven't given it much though past that.

dirtychinchilla and Element Zero like this.