Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool.......ish

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Piezoman, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    well, I am a huge fan of tool. If you kno the band. I have been trying to re-create their type of sound in original lines but It doesnt sound good. Is there a secret or something.

Cansomeone elp me out with what makes their music so good. I mean, I know but I cant quite re-create their sound. Help me plz.

V

2. Do your own **** man and stop mooching....

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I agree with what our friend Sojhen said, be influenced by Tool, but don't rip them off.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Try writing something in an odd time signature in an odd eastern sounding scale... big fun.

5. Try anything... period
    The results can be amazing...

6. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    how do you mean odd signature and eastern scale?

V

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Exactly what he said

Try writing something in 7/8 or 5/4 timing, using a chinese sounding scale. I cant think of a chinese sounding scale name right now but try it, you may be very suprised.

8. He uses a very expecive bass and 2kws of Mesa Boogie amps.
    But... It think most of his sound comes from the fact that he alwas plays with new strings and he also constantly uses a bass driver.

Murphy ( ^_^)

9. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    what is everyone talking about? ripping off his sounds? he just wants to play like him to have fun. it's fun to sound like your favorite bassists. i personally love to recreate justin chancellor's sound as well as cliff burton's. anyways, you're going to want to boost your treble a lot, use a pick, and a chorus or flanger pedal if you have one.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

NEW STRINGS! I always wonder, "how do I get blah blah blah's tone" I throw on some new strings, meddle around with mr. EQ... bam... I'm awesome.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yikes! come on guys, let the guy do what he wants.

I agree that he shouldn't just rip off someones tone, but that is a step in learning, I personally spent 2 hours last night with my BNX3 trying to recreate various Claypool tones, got pretty close to, do I WANT his tone...not even a little bit, but It is fun to **** around with.

www.gazzbass.com as great a bassist he is...ahem...mark king....
    but gazz is keeping it real, by helping others and being a teacher.

Just don't get caught up in trying to sound like someone else all the time.

12. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I dont want to rip their sound but I wanna figure out how to make good lines with those times. + I wanna **** around with my favorites band sound anyways. I mean, If you dont do that a bit, how do U like what U do yerself? Not ripping bu getting something like that and Inever said anything about tone dude.

Wow, How defensive I sound.

13. Personally, I listen to a lot of music that has extremely difficult basslines in it... Compared to any english music... it's really funny how bad ALLof the mainstream english rock music is... Wow, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, RHCP, Default, Tool, Soad, etc,... I'm not knocking tool or soad.. But even still... all of todays modern music .. ****ing blows...

Well, I got off topic there... my idols music is great with lots of complex bass... But if anything I strive to be different from his music or the music of any of the bands I listen to... I appreciate their music and respect it.. But even though I listen to it I'd never want to be told...
    "Oh! you sound just like --|insert band here|--"
    And that goes double for when I'm singing as well...

But hey, if you like that go for it by all means... but I can bet that after hmmm...:rolleyes: 30+ times of being told you sound like such and such a band you'll get annoyed.. and if not... hey you'll just be a clone.. and if you don't mind that.. then that's less competition for me.. :smug::rolleyes:

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think RHCP have fairly complex bass... when held in contrast to Puddle of Muddle.:meh:

15. Well any other bands bass lines are more complex then Puddle of Mudd... I'm just saying that compared to the music I listen to... RHCP is.. nevermind.. I don't want to offend anyone..

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    hmmm... what do you listen to?

17. Japanese Rock...:D There are some good bands not many.... But there are a few.. And the music they play beats any of the modern english rock by far...

In my opinion at least..Eventhough I've been taught that everyones opinion is **** anyway.. I just can't stand all this english crap.. I never listen to the radio anymore.. They'll play Led, or Pink Floyd, or Crazy Train, and some oldies.. Every once and a while to keep people happy but other then that you have all the Pearljam imitators.. or the pathetic try hards. It's just sickening... I personally can't stand it...:mad: :spit:

18. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    What are some good japanese rock bands.

And to let U know, Tool isnt what I consider really mainstream.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Tool is mainstream, very.

they might not sell themselves as much as many other rock bands, but they definitely have a firm mainstream standing.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I find the whole mainstream = bad, being punk = good way of thinking to be bull****. Not giving anything that the mainstream has to offer is limiting. Sure, IMO, a lot of it is crap. But a lot of bands are false labeled with the whole Nu or Alt or whatever they are calling it when they are part of another genre. Example Disturbed... they aren't the greatest, I dig 'em a bit... but I don't think they should be called Nu, even though they are new... they are industrialish. I dunno, point being... I don't know what my point is.