Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool/Lateralus

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, May 16, 2001.

1. Who's listened to it and what do you think? I'm a big Tool fan and I have been anticipating it for a long time, but I was a bit afraid that I would be let down. Nope. I've listened to it about 10 times since yesterday and it's a friggin' masterpiece! :D Thoughts?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I liked it.
    Doc

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I checked out "Lateralus", Tool's latest effort, at Amazon.com. Amazon gives you fifteen second samples from five songs. Trouble is...Tool's music develops slowly with long, moody and brooding intros. Those quicky samples do the music absolutely no justice, cheating potential buyers.

From what little I heard, the music sounds like quintessential Tool. Some buyers have already posted enthusiastic, glowing reviews.

Spacegoat, if you don't get many responses here, check out the "Lateralus" buyer reviews at Amazon.com. From what I read, those who have bought the album share your sentiments.

By the way, Tool videos are always amazingingly creative and entertaining. I can't wait until one from the new album debuts on MTV.

4. Jon Pomplin

Jon Pomplin

Mar 23, 2001
    Chicago
    Excellent CD. Worth the $14.99

Jon Pomplin
    PROJECT 814

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Fantastic. Incredible talent and imagination at work.

[And it has the coolest packaging ever. :D]

6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It's AMAZING!!!!! It's probably the best CD I've bought since Aenima came out! One thing if you haven't listen to it on headphones you haven't heard half of what's going on in those songs.

7. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    It seems to be a good album ( i just started listening to it). I was personally not a fan of Aenema but this album seems to´appeal to me a bit more.

/Lovebown

8. Damn man...fxcking amazing...DEFINITELY worth the almost 5 year wait. This is definitely Tool's best yet.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I picked it up on the way home today as I'm a big fan. Sounds decent, have to let it settle in I guess.

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    There are many layers... it's one of those albums where you hear something new every time you listen to it.

11. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    One thing that kinda annoys me with Tool is how they're always trying to be "artsy" and "smart". Sometimes I wish they could just take a song for what it is and don't try to switch it into something else. MJK could tone down his singing sometimes too...

But hell, they're a hecka good band anyways..

/lovebown

12. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    That's weird the fact that they're always being artsy and smart are two of the things I like best about TOOL. Besides the fact they write amazing music of course.

13. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey Moderator-dude, two threads with the same name...Why not mmmmmmerrrrge them together?

I might spoil the fun here by saying that I prefer the basstone from a perfect circle above the one from tool.
    That scratchy pick-noise just doesn't cut it for me...and I don't like the drummer, and I don't have a clue why.

And if you like artsy and smart, I would recommend the latest album by Mr. Bungle.
    Though it doesn't compare at all.
    Why am I doing this?

14. i just got this album today, and i came here to post a thread myself, but we already have one! hoorah.

anyway... incredible. ticks and leeches is plain scary, schism is probably the best single of the year, and that fretless bass part on the title track is so tasty. i love it, i doubt it'll leave my cd player soon.

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I just brought the disc in the house for the first time(been in my car) and I put Schism on...

The intro and the main riff are really simple and sound great! When you hear the main riff move down in pitch, he's sitting on the open A instead of D at that point. Just move the entire riff down a string, then he moves back up again.

The rhythm is the same when it moves to the A, but listen for where it sounds like he wallops the A for emphasis on one note. You'll see what I mean just by playing it and following his lead.

I'm a finger player, but I do use a pick if that's how it was orignally played. Be sure to do so if you want to nail any of their stuff. It can be played with your fingers, but it won't sound the same. For example, try an A/B playing something like Aenema and listen to the difference! I don't know what kind of basses he uses, but Tool always sounds best when I play it on my Spector NS4-CR.

Glad to have a new album by these guys, I'd say they are one of the best bands to come out in the past decade.

PS - Anyone else notice he uses a ton of different effects on this new one?

16. NeoTrotskyist

NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    So far it's really great. Tool-ish, but with new sounds. The drumming is increable. same with the packaging. So far "The Grudge" is my favorite.

17. Boplicity

Neils, this is the moderator dude. We ended up with two "Lateralus" threads because one was transfered from another forum.

I will try to merge them. I never merged threads before, so bear with me. I hope it works.

18. Boplicity

I've run into a snag. Both threads are titled Lateralus. So when I type Lateralus in the space as the thread to be merged, it is rejected as not "valid." Any other moderator know how I can fix the problem?

19. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    Love the album. I like it when the bassist is just as important to the music as the g*it*rist.

Check out a new band called Sunna, They kick ass too.

20. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I said TRY to be artsy and smart. Although they have written some deep, great stuff, I believe some of their songs are like ... overplayed and "weirded" somehow, without sounding cool.

BUT they are a great band compared to most new rock acts..

/lovebown