Tool Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    this is a companion thread to the recent flea thread that has gone off on a tangent.

[btw, i would like a mod to send those posts strictly concerning tool from that thread over to this one, if at all possible. thank you]

i recommend downloading songs off of "lateralus" if one wants to be familiarized with the band.

here's a breakdown:

the grudge- mostly heavy (in 5/4!), pretty angry
    eon blue apocalypse- musical interlude/intro for...
    the patient- pretty mellow (with heavy sections here and there); also in 5/4!mantra- odd interlude/ intro for...
    schism- big radio hit
    parabol- mellow introduction for...
    parabola- atypical hard rock song; next single!
    ticks-n-leeches- obligatory angst song (imo, unnecessary; the only imperfection on this disc)
    lateralus- great song about...thinking
    disposition- cool, mellow song
    reflection- contains my life motto...(also, very eastern)
    triad- metal instrumental tinged with eastern elements
    faaip de oiad- weird

if you can only d/l one song, make it "parabola." it's a personal fave, and may serve as a better *gateway* than some of the others.

it's a start...
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Lateralus is awesome. I also agree that Parabola is probably the most accessible song on that disc for those not familiar with their work. The Patient and The Grudge are killer tunes too.

From their older stuff, I would say some other tunes to check out are:

Prison Sex
    4 Degrees
  3. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    can't forget "H." very good song.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    TOOL is the greatest band EVER.
    Best tool songs are... all of them, but my fav songs are Sober, 46&2, Bottom, Hooker with a ..uh,,,weiner? can i say weiner? And, lataralus. Can you belive that my girlfriends favortie song is jimmy? AWESOME. If you want to really sum up tool in one song, i'd go for "Third eye". that song has pretty much what tool is about.

Is it just me? it seem they have gone from heavy, with some melodic stuff, then to more melodic, then to melodic with some heavy stuff? I mean, it's all good, but just seeing the diff in albums. like Undertow was more ragful than Aneima, but Anema was a good balance of melodic and heavy. then lataralus was more melodic than all the rest.
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  6. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

"3rd Eye" is nearly 15 minutes long. but it doesn't drag for a moment.
  7. I think that Lateralus is there second worst album, but eh, what're you gonna do? H. is my favorite song.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    this should be in recordings

please read the Thread Titled Think Before You Post. Thanks
  9. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Quick trivia bit here: faaip de oiad means "voices of God" in Enochian, a magical language developed by the court astrologer to Queen Elizabeth I, John Dee. The legends of John Dee were highly influential on a young author from Rhode Island named Howard Phillips Lovecraft, who wrote extensively of aliens from other dimensions, even mentioning John Dee in his fictional works as the owner of a mysterious magical book called the Necronomicon, which contained spells to summon these extra-dimensional aliens.

Extra trivia bit: The Necronomicon is mentioned in the almost completely false bibliography at the end of Michael Crichton's fantastic book, Eaters of the Dead, the foundation for the hit movie The 13th Warrior.

Sorry. I'm just bored tonight.

Tool Rules.
  10. melvin

Apr 28, 2001

Anyway, I like these songs most:

Prison Sex
    and some others
  11. pedalpointer

Mar 25, 2002
    Sorry, all out of dancing monkeys. Would a monkey humping a football do?

My favorite Tool song is 46 and 2. I think a close second would probably be Third Eye.
  12. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i kinda figured that it would be a matter of time before this thread would be moved...

[is there no way to "dump" those posts about tool on the thread "opinions on flea" onto this one? this is the primary reason why i started this thread, anyway...]

sorry to make this an inter-topical incident.*

thanks for those tidbits, petalpointer.

*so now the only thing left on my "to do" list is to start a thread so controversial and offensive, it is deleted!