Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 11, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    My friend says that schism is playy tapping(the main riff).I usually played this...

D 10 9
    A 0 10h12 0 0

I was wondering how you played it tapping which my friend said was correct.Thanks...
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    it got messed up so heres the link to how i played it

Also if you tell me how to tap it,what fret should my right hand be at?
  3. is it tapped? I've only messed around w/ that song, but am pretty sure that it's not tapped, although i can be wrong. Also, i believe that the part that you posted was the chorus, adn not the main riff.
  4. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    it isnt tapped.
    on they actually had video clips of Justin playin the riffs in Schism.

he picks the D..hammers the 10th then 12th fret.
    picks the 10th fret on the G..picks open D...picks 9th fret on the G...picks open D....then for the second half add a note on the 12th fret of the G
  5. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    then for the chorus u move down one string and play it almost the same way.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Don't forget the variation in the verses.
  7. Tabs...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    No it is not tapped. That song is extremely easy to play; all you have to do is pull off that triplet hammer on quickly enough to get all the notes to sound properly. It takes some practice if you're a newb I guess, I tried to teach it to some kid who has been playing for about a year and he couldn't do it no matter how much he practiced. Oh well... It was the same way for me with "Rearranged" and "Around the World" when I was a newb. I used to practice those songs all day and could never play them.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Hey, what can I say except I'm bilingual. :D Also, it's kinda hard to write notation in text format.
  10. That's how I've been playing it O-man.
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I heard the song for the first time 20 minutes ago. I agree, it's easy to play despite all the quirky rhythms. It also happens to be the first thing I hear by Tool that I actually dig! Cool song! :)
  12. Who gave you the idea it's tapped?

Justin Chancellor uses a pick for everything he plays.
  13. I'm not 100% sure that tab is right. If I recall correctly, an issue of Bass Player from a while back had something different that certainly sounds right. I haven't played that song in a while, so I could very well be wrong.

Edit: Ignore me, for I am stupid
  14. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Justin definitely doesn't tap that.... I was at a show about 10 feet in front of him, and the tab previously given and the variation on the verse seem to be dead on...I can't say I was that good at bass at the time, and all I managed to pick up was the D string open-10-12 hammer thing. It looked like maybe he hit the 11th fret too....Probably not though....
  15. You're alright man, just wrong.

I saw him at Sydney and he sure as hell played what is tabbed on 9 out of 10 sites, the 10-12 hammer thang.
  16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    my friend who said its tapped,said he thinks it sounds better that way.:rolleyes: but i respect him because hes an awesome bassist,and way better than me.i still havent gotten together to play with him!arghhhhh!
  17. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    i saw him too, and the bass-player transcription and the tabs identical and correct.
    and i think that tapping a riff like schism would be quite a stupid thing to do.