Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool - schism

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by kato_kaylin, Jan 14, 2003.

1. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Does anyone know if there is some kinda of trick to playin schism by tool? i do exactly what tabs say and it doesn't sound like it to me???????????????

2. depends. are you meaning it doesent sound right as in, it doesent sound liek what your playing is the right notes, or is it that your bass sound just doesent sound like his. heres both of the answers. about you playing the notes. for the first 3 notes, you only strike the string once. when you do the open D, then for the next 2 notes, you hammer them fast, or hit the open d, play the next 2 notes fast, but dont strike the string, then go on. if thats confuseing, post again and ill explain better. about the sound,his sound is realyl trebely and stuff. if your useing fingers on a deep bassy bass, your probably not getting his tone. he uses a pick, and it sounds like he always has new strings. really punchy and trebely. thats about it.

3. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Well it wasnt the bass
    i read somewhere that he always has new strings and thats cool and all
    but u helped me out on this one
    i wasn't lettin D ring all long
    thanks man
    :cool:

4. no problum, good luck with it.

5. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    i dont have it perfect yet so go ahead

6. Was that in an interview....if so can you remember where I could find it???

7. imput:D

just that if you don't turn your lows down and your highs up some then it will not sound right, also that the rabbit should get some trix.:confused: (I just saw a trix commercial on tv)

8. trix are for kids(and grownup who still like kids cereal), they aren't for rabbits. they get carrots. lots of carrots. mmm, carrots...

9. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    I believe i read it on a tab. I'm not sure which one either if that helps:rolleyes:

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I masterd (And played the HELL out of...) that song a long time ago. are you talking about the fast notes at the begining? those are triplets.... or....16th notes..... i can't remember.dudududu du du du dudududu du du du du du dudududu du du du.... ok,, i can't really help...my bad.

11. with the open d and two hammer-ons i actually strike the string three times. i do a little roll with my right ring, middle, and index fingers, to get three quick notes to get that quick double-hammer thing in the schism riff. was that helpful? maybe i'm confused, and confusing you, and confusing me.:confused:

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He picks (in the vid i saw) the open d, then the rest (the next two notes) are hammerons. until you get to the g string.

13. yeah, but...i don't do the "pick" thing, man. it's not for me.
    my three-finger method has a cool quick sound to it. not like the original, really, but still cool.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh, sorry, i thought i would just give him the right way to play it, rather than my "own" tech.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    here's my tab interperetation

-----------------10---9---------------10-9-----12
    --0---0-h10~h12---0---0---0-h10~h12---0---0-----
    -----------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------

with plenty of treble

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i hope that make ANY sense, because it did NOt turn out quite right.

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Definitely some treble boost and pick playing can get you a more "Justin Chancellor" tone.. but cutting the mids out might do more as well.. Here is what did for the intro and the verse

G-3-2/5/7--3-2/5/7---
    D-0-3/5/8--3-3/5/8-0-
    A--------------------
    D-------------------- obviously the / means sliding

G---------10---9-----------10---12---
    D-0-10h12----0---0-0-10h12----0----0-
    A------------------------------------
    D------------------------------------ repeat

when verse comes it changes a little

G---------10---9-----------10---12---
    D-0-10h12----0---0-0-10h12----0----0-
    D------------------------------------

G---------9---7-----------9---7---10-
    D-0-10h12---0---0-0-10h12---0---0----
    D------------------------------------

I hope this helps you out a bit.. actually.. hopefully my tabbing sounds okay

DM

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I can't take it anymore. Moved to Tablature.

I need a shower.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. ;)

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Treble yeah, but do NOT cut the midrange :confused: Notice how J.C.'s tone is puncy and bright but when he plays low it's still got punch and bass. My recommendation is bass it up, but not too much, crank the midrange, and a little more treble than normal, but it's not that important. Also new strings will help you sound like justin a lot. A Wal wouldn't hurt either. ;)

As far as schism goes, get use to the concept of a triplet... the...

|----------------|
    |--0-10-12------|

part. And let the droning d ring out.