1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Tool-Sober" Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Feb 5, 2001.

1. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I play bass in a local band. Every so often, we play a cover or two at a show. One of those covers we perform is "Sober" by Tool. I have tried several possibilities, and I can not get his sound for the life of me. My gear consists of a Fender Jazz bass, into a Zoom 506 bass multi-fx pad, and then into my Fender BXR-60 amp. Any ideas?

2. Try turning down the neck pickup so you're only using the bridge. That gives it a nice punchy sound (especially when using a pick). On your Zoom try an overdriven distortion, not full out but just enough to give it that bite. Worked for me :D

3. Boosting the treble on your amp or bass (if you have an american deluxe jazz) will probably give you a sound close to his, don't use too much distortion, only a LITTLE bit if you use it at all and pick pretty hard, paul does.

4. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for your help. I will try you comments next time I practice. I have also been told by some creep at a local music store to boost my mids and use a chorus pedal. Is he serious?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Word- I think the "creep" is doing his job - trying to sell you a chorus. I'd blow his advice off.

I like that ballsy deep sound of the bass on "Sober," too. Even though a studio can pretty much mold sound into almost anything they're after, I know a person can nail that sound live, too. My Carvin LB75 and my Precision can get a reasonably good imitation of it.

If you really want that sound, try a new set of some high quality roundwound, stainless steel strings, like DR Hi-Beams or Rotosound Swings, (assuming you haven't already). That would be the best way I can think of to approxiamte the sound for the least cost. The fact you have a Jazz, sorry to say, doesn't help your quest, IMO. They just aren't all that punchy.