Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Tool-Sober" Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Feb 5, 2001.

1. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I play bass in a local band. Every so often, we play a cover or two at a show. One of those covers we perform is "Sober" by Tool. I have tried several possibilities, and I can not get his sound for the life of me. My gear consists of a Fender Jazz bass, into a Zoom 506 bass multi-fx pad, and then into my Fender BXR-60 amp. Any ideas?

2. Try turning down the neck pickup so you're only using the bridge. That gives it a nice punchy sound (especially when using a pick). On your Zoom try an overdriven distortion, not full out but just enough to give it that bite. Worked for me :D

3. Boosting the treble on your amp or bass (if you have an american deluxe jazz) will probably give you a sound close to his, don't use too much distortion, only a LITTLE bit if you use it at all and pick pretty hard, paul does.

4. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for your help. I will try you comments next time I practice. I have also been told by some creep at a local music store to boost my mids and use a chorus pedal. Is he serious?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Word- I think the "creep" is doing his job - trying to sell you a chorus. I'd blow his advice off.

I like that ballsy deep sound of the bass on "Sober," too. Even though a studio can pretty much mold sound into almost anything they're after, I know a person can nail that sound live, too. My Carvin LB75 and my Precision can get a reasonably good imitation of it.

If you really want that sound, try a new set of some high quality roundwound, stainless steel strings, like DR Hi-Beams or Rotosound Swings, (assuming you haven't already). That would be the best way I can think of to approxiamte the sound for the least cost. The fact you have a Jazz, sorry to say, doesn't help your quest, IMO. They just aren't all that punchy.