Tool "Sober" sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Opiate

7 vote(s)
  2. Undertow

16 vote(s)
  3. Aenma

37 vote(s)
  4. Salival

1 vote(s)
  5. Laterallus

24 vote(s)
  1. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Guys, I'm in a band that mainly plays origional music, except for one song that we love to play. It's "Sober" by Tool. How in the hell do I match his friggin' sound?
    My gear is a Nemesis 1x12 200w combo amp by Eden, a Zoom 506 multi-effects pad, and a Fender Jazz Bass. Help my ass!
    :confused: :D
  2. My band covers that too. Basically, turn all your controls (on the bass) all the way up and use a pick. You also might be pling it wrong. The main part of the song is played in a 2 string chord of an open E and fret 5 of the A string. Da da dun dun da da dun dun dun dun.....Its the da da part, dun dun is harmonics.
  3. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok, I had been playing it in a root, octave, fith pattern before:
    I do use a pick already. I'll try to root/octave concept you suggested. Any other ideas guys?
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I would imagine that a big part of the sound is that a Rickenbacker was used.
  5. I'm not sure about how to get his tone, but here's
    how I play makes it sound pretty big and full.

G -7-
    D -0-
    A -5-
    D -0-
  6. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Does Paul D'Amour use any effects for the song? How bout EQ and bass settings?

Isn't it funny how we are all kind of in the dark about how the song actually is played and the way it sounds. Damn him. :D
  7. If I remember right, it goes a-like dis:

G ------------------------------------------
    D ------------------------------------------
    A -5-5-x-x-x-5-5-x-xx-xx-6-6-x-xx-6-6-x-xx
    D -0-0-x-x-x-0-0-x-xx-xx-0-0-x-xx-0-0-x-xx

Paul may have used a chorus as well. The x's are string muting; just raking the strings. There is A LOT of that in this song.

I can't believe I am transcibing this in tab. :eek:

8. XToolX

XToolX Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    Warminster, PA
    Its real easy, this is all it is

only thing it that your mid and especially the high should be turned up. Also the shape should be around maybe 300-350. By the way everyone plays "sober". Try Eulogy its alot better and your the main focus in the begining.:cool:
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you're using the open E you're playing it wrong. It's played in dropped D.

The way he sounds like that on CD is by miking his tweeter on his amp (the small thing that produces the high frequencies) and sending it to the board as well. I don't remember if you have on on your amp, but that'll help with the grindy. Otherwise, get a rickenbacker, steel strings, crank your mids and treble, and get his hands. ;)
  10. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    When you strum it, strum it like it's a guitar, not a bass. - I dont know if this helps any, but thats the only way i know how to describe it.
  11. I play it drop D and slap the open D, but thats just the tab that I got(from this site)

12. Marlow_Smith

Apr 26, 2000
    my band also covers this song, i took a good hard listen and spent about an hour gettin it down.
    the beginning goes like this

the tone's not hard to achieve, you really don't need to run any effects, just play with your eq till you find the right sound, it might take a lil longer depending on ur setup

also... just for fun, the end goes like this

13. Active pickups with Bass, Mid and Treble EQ's all at 10.
    Plus brand spanking new strings will help more than anything:D
  14. WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks guys. I will try everything all you have told me. One last note...was there any issues of Bass Player magazine that had either D'Amour or Chanceller in it? :confused:
  15. XToolX

XToolX Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    Warminster, PA
    Yes there was. May 2001 has Justin in it. Pretty good article. Also, if you go the the online magazine you can download a video clip him playing "schism". Just go to the back issues, then to May '01. Never saw any with Paul in them guess cause that was when they werent as big but if you find one let me know.
  16. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    interesting, do you happen to have a link to taht download?
  17. XToolX

XToolX Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    Warminster, PA
    Here is the link. hope it works. If not just go to the online mag like I said before. As for the guy that we are all stupid Paul said he plays like I said in my post earlier. The chord you said is the like the one in the grudge. Listen to them they are not the same. Also if you have Opium Den (which you probaly don't) there are two versions of it, the demo and one with brad wilks from rage playing it. So you might want to go over that.
  18. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I got that issue and saw the online video, too. That should straighten out all questions.
  19. dace

Dec 25, 2000
    sydney, australia
    well the first step you need to take to match Paul's tone is to get a Rickenbacker. i mean, they sound so unique; no amount of EQing on any other bass will help it match the treble output.

i also heard that he uses some sort of distortion. i'm listening to sober now and i'm guessing Paul sets the treble up really high and he uses it with slight distortion for the opening riff.

it's a really awesome tone though...really "chunky" sounding...