1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TOOL sound on a budget

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garythenuke, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Well actually, I was hoping someone could tell me how to do it... I was reading a thread the other day where someone played in a TOOL cover band and was going to post how he got pretty danged close to the JCh sound without $30k worth of gear and electronics. He was going to write about his particular guitar, pickup, amp, effects and ect...

I can't find that thread and I have no idea who it was or where I read it... I know I saw it... I'm really not dreaming...:eyebrow:

I can't afford a Wal, and I know that the big thing is practice...

Actually, if there is someone who can get a Flea and a Geddy sound on the same budget that would be awesome.

I don't need the exact sound. but really close would be great.

Thanks

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    did you search for that? Its probably THE most frequently posted thread here on TB...along with how to get the tone on hysteria. There should be tons of posts you can find.

3. themurm523

themurm523

Mar 1, 2010
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620296 try that thread out its pretty useful.... as for being on a budget instead of a wal JC used a Stingray on a few songs on AEnima and can get similar for the other songs basically all you need though is to boost the highs and mids and cut the bass

4. wait, why did you mention getting a geddy/flea sound after a while when you said you wanted a tool sound? eh..

anyways, it's not an easy tone to emulate exactly..
    but there are quite a few basses you can give a shot depending on your budget. if you have a good $1500, i think your best bet would be a music man stingray/sterling or one of the G&L basses (sorry, i have no knowledge reguarding g&ls). if you don't have that money, then you could go for one of the SBMM basses, an ibanez ATK, or give one of the schecter stiletto basses a try. like i said, it isn't easy to emulate JC's tone, but any of these basses can get you close..

5. I know, I know, I know.. Schizzo..something...:rollno: I guess I just think about ALL the sounds I'd like to have.

Yeah, I've yet to talk to anyone who says "Yep, I got it down pat with my allowance money purchased gear." That's why I mentioned I could not afford a Wal with an extra $30k of gear.

I've thought about the stingray or even the bongo. Which ATK? The 300/700 or the 750? With the ATK's, would the 180 degree pup spin trick get it closer? That's where you take the stock tripple coil and turn it 180 degrees.

I don't know anything about schecters..

If you can help with my dilemma (and my therapy) I'd appreciate it...

6. Yes... However, I had stumbled across a thread a couple of days ago with "recent success stories" That is the specific one I was alluding to in my original post... The others I found did not have what I was hoping for.

Thank you for the link. That is a great help. I appreciate it very much. I was on the edge of hoping to find something even more "budgety" than a 'ray... On that note, most everything in the link above is not only "out of", but "way, way, way... out of the budget..." I sincerely appreciate your efforts though.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

7. The Chancellor Tool sound? On a budget?

I'd go for a G&L L2000 Tribute with a maple board.

8. Well.. we gotta have dreams right???

Thanks, I'll look into those, this is not the first time I've heard them recommended for different sounds.

9. Didn't he use a Mesa 400+?

10. BlackElan

BlackElan

Feb 26, 2009
    Now that I think about it the OP should just practice and realize a lot of those tones he wants are from technique and playing style.

Spending more money trying to get you "budget" tones is just going to be a waste and you will be frustrated in the end and just blame the equipment.

Took me a long time to afford my Wal and I even got all the same pedals as Justin but me and my band currently sound nothing like Tool and we don't do Tool covers either. I take everyones style and tone and put it into my own big pile of crap. I would have quit long ago trying to emulate someone else's tone.

11. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yep. For me, both pickups in Series mode with the Treble Boost activated got me real close.

c-

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I find my StingRay gets a really good Tool sound with Hartke strings.

13. Overall that is his plan. But it's after dinner and he's winding down and thinking about things he enjoys thinking about. He figured he'd pose this question and see what kind of response he'd get.

He knows he needs to practice, and in fact may never be able to practice enough due to to constraints of talent. Also realizing that dumping $30k or $40k on gear or even "just" $5k on a Wal won't actually get the sound.

Now he's got to go practice some more...

14. I bought a Ric 4003 after trying a beat-up 4001 in a guitar center a few years back, knowing that Paul used one on "Undertow". I tried a used Mesa Bass 400 knowing he used them as well. I loved the Ric's tone and dug the Mesa as well.

I tried to copy his tone for a while, and got decent results. Now it's a mix of my favorite pick players, I use a GK 800RB(the Mesa sits in my other room unused), and I'm no longer chasing the "Undertow" tone.

I'm happy that's over with now.

15. Justin uses a Wal, which is a painfully bright dual humbucker Bass. It is like an angry Ric.

I would suggest to get a Music Man HH Sterling or HH Stingray, and use the magic of the onboard preamp along with the one on your amp to get the tone you desire.

I doubt it's the strings.

16. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    This guy is doing pretty darn well with a single pickup Sterling:

17. This quote should be a bumper sticker...

18. I think Paul's Undertow tone is what Justin was closer to on their last album. He even said the producer suggested he go "dirtier" and he explained how he learned that much of the 70's prog has this cool presence b/c of the dirt.

I still think Rics are much brighter and grittier on the high-end, though. Single coils, hard maple body, thru neck. "Chris Squire" brightness.

Wals have more of that humbucker low-mid "punch in the gut" that so many adore. It's also more of a high mids thing instead of true highs in his sound, but it's just as effective as the Ric's stinging treble punch.

19. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    considering the budget, and the other bassist you mentioned...
    -pick
    -fresh strings
    -active bass (stingray and the others mentioned)
    -a gk head (good for flea also) or some other solid state
    -a good cab (a used ampeg 810 would be good and you can find them priced right)
    -for JC pedals on a budget, check out the sans amp gt2, and check the line 6 m9 (it offers a lot of sounds for a good price... not perfect, but very versitile and functional)

i'm a "sound is in the hands kind of guy," and for flea, geddy, and jc, it's all about clean execution. that said, dialing in your mids is also key for all of these sounds.