tool used to pull out frets?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    what tool do i use to pull out my frets? some sort of pliers? :confused:
  2. I'd also like to know... My first fretless job was done with a screwdriver, but I have 2 more of em pending and I'd rather not scratch the fingerboard.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Stewmac sells a tool, but you can get End Nippers at most hardware stores... Grind the face down so that it's nearly flush to the cutting edge... Viola! Fret pullers!

4. A soldering iron is used to heat the fret enough to soften the glue then the fret is pulled. Here is a link to the Mike Lull site on how he does this. Hopefully this link will work. frames.htm

Edit: Nope didn't link right to the page. Click under repairs and follow the link to the fretless conversion....
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I used toenail clippers (and yes, I cleaned them first). The tapered thin blade gets under the fret nicely.

I started at one end, gently pinched under the fret and wiggled it back and forth. I didn't use a soldering iron, but that might help too.

Once the fret comes up a little, I just moved along the fret's length, gently pinching and wiggling to work it out of the slot and minimize chipping of the fingerboard. My guess is that the flat front of the toenail clipper prevents the fingerboard from chipping as it applies pressure on the face of the fingerboard.

I had a few chips, but not bad at all... Be gentle when rocking the clippers back and forth so that you don't put big dents in the fingerboard.

Have fun!!!!