Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool Whammy songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Feb 7, 2002.

1. i read (and talked to Justin on the tool chat too) and in both he claimed that he had a Digitech Whammy pedel, now i have listened to Third Eye and Eulogy MANY MANY TIMES! and i still can't hear the Whammy. any recommondations on songs that DO have the whammy in them?

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I believe there are some songs on Lateralus that have the Whammy... pretty sure 'Schism' is one of them - I saw Justin using the Whammy on that one when I saw Tool in concert.

EDIT: Also, the Whammy can be used to 'detune' the entire bass, so you might not notice an effect.

3. yeah, i've seen in BP that in Schism that Justin DOES use the Whammy in the bridge they do, i just don't know how he uses it

4. On Eulogy he might be using it in the beginning for the harmonic sounding things.. maybe the pitch bends that he plays starting at 7:10??

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The ones that spring to mind are from Lateralus.

The soft notes he's playing on bass from :11 through :54 in The Patient. Sounds like chorus, delay, and the wah pedal. The Wah is used on the accents you hear, it literally sonds like 'wah'.

The bridge in Schism from 4:01 through 4:32. Sounds like overdrive, delay, and the wah. Maybe chorus too. There's a weird spacy swell to the sound here as well. A possibility could be that he has the wah ON and set in a forward position during this part. At that point, he may be working a volume pedal to get the swells and accents in that passage. Just a guess, but it sounds like the sounds are fading in and out. That's how I would go about it if I were trying to duplicate that part.

I can't really think of any others right now, but it sounds like a wah was used in those two songs.

6. Justin sure is a great bassist imo.

7. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    he doesn't use a wah in the patient... the "wah effect" is attained by hammering all the notes with his left hand while turning his passive tone knob to make it sound like a wah

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Interesting, didn't know that. I'm probably wrong about the other song too then. Guess you need to see him do it to know.

9. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah... with all the funky techniques and effects he uses, sometimes its really hard to tell whats going on

especially on lateralus

10. actually, you just need to read BP to know...

11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Here are some of my guesses, but they could either be nothing or simply be bended notes (from what I hear, that's what he uses the whammy for most of the time):

Third Eye:
    1. The passage that starts around 4:06 and lasts till like the 6 minute mark or so. (Not too sure about this bit...could just be a non-bended note, but their ends sound a little pitch shifted.)

2. The passage that starts at about 7:12 and lasts till 7:47.

3. The weird noises that start at 8:23 and last till 8:48ish. That's either the whammy or the tone knob sweeps (or both).

Lateralus:
    The breakdown outro bit. You can't miss those bended notes. I initially thought they were just regular bends, but I read somewhere that it "had" to be a whammy because of the preciseness. It's up to you to decide.

Eulogy:
    The 7:10 bit has both the guitar and bass notes' pitches being bent, and I am pretty sure Justin uses the whammy (Adam probably does too, but it's much easier for him to bend the guitar strings like that). It's like a reverse bomb dive (revved up engine?), which is typical whammy usage.

Any wah-like sound is the tone knob of the Wal in effect (no pun intended). Justin doesn't use a wah pedal.

Damn, just listening to and talking about his work makes me want to bust out the bass and some effects (which I don't own) and make weird spacey noises.

Hope all this helped.

12. thanks guys... now i know what songs NOT to play, because i don't have a whammy pedal! ;)

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm also fairly sure that he uses the whammy pedal on "disposition" from lateralus. he makes it sound like his part was recorded on some very old analog tape recorder that is having pitch problems. very cool.

i think it is the interlude "cesaro summability" or perhaps "negative ions" off of aenima (pretty sure it's the former) where he uses a whammy plus major distortion.

schism, lateralus...most definitely.

i hardly listen to "eulogy" so i can't really comment.

14. God I really want a digitech whammy... i have been looking for a bass version but i might just have to settle for the ordinary red one...

15. what is the difference between the bass and the origanal?

16. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    the bass one is optimized for the lower frequencies of the bass..... the regular red one is intended for guitar

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I've heard that the newer ones (including the bass whammy) can't compare to the vintage units.

I am unsure about the validity of this.

18. This is the way with everything... nothing can compare with the originals... but on the other hand I believe the original was still made for guitar so the bass version may still be better suited for... bass.:)

I am also unsure about the validity of this since I never tried an original or a bass whammy. The new re-isssue handles pretty well on bass but not great and the whammy-wah is total CRAP :D

19. dbjessman

dbjessman

Apr 28, 2015
    In eulogy he is using it in the harmony setting. I believe in 5thup/6thup but he doesn't rock the whammy so it just adds a 5th up harmony with the root note. Gives a really cool effect.

In their eye it's 1oct up. He uses it to swell. Pretty much keeps to a D5 chord

20. dbjessman

dbjessman

Apr 28, 2015
    The wah effect on the patient is using his tone pot. On a wal it's a low pass filter. He frets the notes and uses the tone pot in a sweep to produce the wah sound. Very cool technique