Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 11, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've been listening to Tool alot lately,and ive been wondering what are most of their songs about?I'm thinking their either athiest or satanic,but satanic doesnt make much sense to me,because in the packet for Aenima,it says "believe in nothing".therefore they don't even believe in satan.So,anybody know what some of there songs are about?if you know any,tell me cuz im really curious!A few more questions...

In the packet for aenima it says "bill hicks,another dead hero" whose the messed up guy,whose the doctor,and whats it all about?And the song on aenima where the guys talking on the phone,my friend said its supposed to be hitler,well whose the dude and whats he talking about?and what does "die ever von satan".well some of their songs freak me out,and most amaze me.I guess this can be a big thread about Tool,and how they have awesome music.

PS-If you can play "schism" the tapping version,check out my thread "tool-schism" in general instruction.

2. jljohnson85

jljohnson85

Nov 27, 2000
    Woodstock, GA
    I don't much about the meanings of the songs, but I can answer a few of your questions. I think Bill hicks was a comedian, but I'm not sure. My friend said he also had some kind of wildlife fund. "Die ever von satan" is actually a recipe for "Balls of satan" It's some kind of German food.

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    c'mon,you guys must have something to say about Tool!

4. a-hem,
    Bill Hicks is a comedian who died of cancer a few years back. A sample of his work is played before Third Eye on Aenima. If you want to here his material, check out rant in E-Minor, it's pretty funny.

"Dier Von Satan" is german for for "Eggs of Satan", the song is a recipe for hash cookies in German. Most sites that have lyrics have an english translation for it.

The guy on the phon, I'm not sure, I know it's not hitler. Someone told me it was a guy who rang up the studio and left a message, I dunno myself though.

As for what their songs are about, which song did you have in mind?

-'rice

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Go to toolshed.down And read the faq for all the answers. TOOL is my favorite band. there. i said something about tool.

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    hey maurice,i didnt have any particular song in mind,just any song you what it was about.thanks

7. I love tool.

Tool is very fickle about what they believe in. The first EP Opiate had a secret track about drugs and satan. But I wouldn't call them satanic, i'd call them anti-christian. The lead singer Maynard Keenan is said to be a very spiritual man but is alot of songs (Eulogy, Sober, Prison Sex, Opiate, Aenema, H.) are anti christian if you listen to the lyrics.

The "Doctor" is a Futant. Read the CD cover for some info on Futants. He looks like a doctor because that thing on his head is actualy an eye. ANd the thing in his hand is a syringe. (you can tell I like Tool because my AIM is Futant 3rd Eye).

The guy on the phone call is someone that had it out for Tool for some reason. There are actually two calls, the other is on Salival.

The song meanings vary. The best song meaning has to be Hooker with a Penis. Its about selling out, and if you look into the lyrics, its pretty true.

The "The anestetic state produced doers not fit into the conventional blah blah blah" thing is taken right out of a medical book. Its a large animal anestetic. It really has no meaning other than to make you go "What the f*ck?" Tool does this alot, they're actually a really funny band. Another example of their humor is if you listen to Sober really loud, you'll hear someone in the background yelling "Turn that sh*t down!" Its supposed to make you think there's an angry neighbor/parent. That may not be humor to most, but that is damn funny to people with my kind of humor. :D

8. yep, go to toolshed.down, has everything and a bag of chips about Tool on it. If you really get bored (like myself) read the entire FAQ, it has more than enough about Tool.

I can tell you about the guy on the phone, however. As the story goes, he was a former friend of one of the band members (i think) and he stayed at either a hotel with them or a house. He created a rather large phone bill for whomever he was staying with, which naturally made them angry. He was kicked out, and made that telephone as a pathetic little warning. If the story is true, its very funny, from what I have heard, the guy on the phone is a little wimpy guy.

thats my 2 cents

(hehehe, good ol hash cookies)

9. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Ahh man, Tool has to be one of my fav bands right now. I find their music very intresting. Very orginal.

10. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I can tell you schism is about a Heiron Addict....thats about it...good band though....did a concert here a few months back...very good...:D :) ;) :p

11. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    the more you learn about tool, the more you realize they're just trying to screw with your head most of the time... maynard's lyrics are pretty vague and could be deciphered a lot of different ways.... like eulogy, the lyrics do allude to crucifixion but that doesn't mean he's definitely talking about a certain event.....

as for message to harry manback, danny carey once said its a message that was left on maynard's answering machine by some weird guy that no one in the band knew but for some reason showed up at maynards house one day calling himself a friend of a friend.... he was really annoying and they kicked him out... which is why he left a nasty message on the machine.... but again, who knows if this story is really true.... just because the band said is it doesn't mean it is.... before lateralus came out, they put up bogus track times on the official page just to jack with people, its great

and like someone else suggested.... read the faq at toolshed.down.net .... it has every question you could think of

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tool...one of my favorite bands. I like their stuff. Not much more that I can say that's not been expressed a million times by other...

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah i read alot of the FAQ at that site,LOADS OF INFORMATION!yeah ive been very into Tool for the past week and ive said to myself "how can a band be this serious,i mean they gotta have some sense of humor,right?"

14. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    lol, thats the beauty of it

15. Ahh, TooL. What a great band. About the only band in existance that can do a better stage show than Rammstein or GWAR.

Oh, and it's "Die EIER von Satan." 4 words, Die (the) Eier (eggs) von (of) Satan (you can guess this one)

Rock on
    Eric

16. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I see that everyone's pretty much answered the questions. To clarify, the guy on "Message to Harry Manback" was one of Maynard's roommates, and he got all pissed when they threw him out of the house, etc. etc.

Off topic, but Eric Cameron and I were born on the very same day. :eek: Strange. I don't know a single person who shares my/our birthday, let alone someone who was born on the exact day.

That is all.

17. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    from the toolshed.down.net faq:

*****begin quoted material*****

G40. OK, so who was that message for? Who is Harry Manback?

Danny had this to say about it in some interview:

"Message to Harry Manback is a recording of the words of an uninvited Italian guest who came to Maynard's house one day. A so-called friend of a
    friend of a friend of Harry's .... Before we finally managed to figure out that nobody really knew him, he had already emptied the fridge and run up a
    huge phone bill. He got kicked out of the house."

Harry Manback is a pseudonym for the real recipient of the message, presumably a past roommate of Maynard's: Hotsy Menshot of Green Jello.

*****end quoted material*****

with tool, you never know what the real truth is.... just curious, where did you hear he was a roommate?

18. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    doh, and then i read my own post.... anyway, the bottom line is, the crazy guy was not maynard's roommate... his message was FOR maynard's roommate Hotsy

19. I am pretty sure that Maynard or Tool for that matter are not Satanist. My Grandfather is a pastor with a couple of theology degrees and he defined Satanism to me as basically a hedonistic attitude. Not worshipping the devil, but worshipping yourself and being undeniably selfish. Devil worship is defined as (funnily enough) Devil Worship.

From my perspective, and from what Maynard said at the two concerts I have seen, I think their attitude is a total piss-take on people who cant really think for themselves. i.e. fans, media, etc.

20. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    They're general atheists, with more of a take on anti-religion, anti-Christianity, and so on. Maynard and the boys are a strange act to follow, and often are purposefully confusing...I went to see the second show they performed on the mini U.S. tour in May at the Riviera in Chicago (it sold out in 30 seconds, I waited 2 and a half hours in line!!) and at that show, Maynard said Schism was sort of a song about the record industry. I think it went something to the effect of "We've been gone for awhile, its good to back, and the good guys one. We haven't put out an album in a few years, and this song sort of puts everything with this into perspective." That segwayed into Schism. (I can tell you, that was not at all what he said, but rather that was the general gist of it). As far as I know, Schism had nothing to do with a heroin addict.

I never really got into Tool until about the middle of last year (about a year before Lateralus came out), and I was instantly hooked. When Lateralus came out, I knew it was one of the greatest albums ever. Justin Chancellor has to be one of my main influences, despite the fact that people say he plays a guitar-style bass. Anyway, thats my $.02.