Tools and General Material!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hookha, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    i need a detailed list of tools and Material that i need for build my first guitar\bass
    if you can,please write my what the specific tools and Material that i well need! (its very imortent,dont write my generally list)

hope you help me!
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Would you like someone to build it for you too?

Seriously, you've got to do some research. And research consists of more than just asking, "please give me a final answer to my vague question."
  3. +1
  4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Me posting this probably undermines the whole idea that you should do you own research by using the Search function. Believe me, I whole-heartedly agree with that idea. Still, for the sake of heading off a big discussion on why you should/shouldn't do your own searching, here's a link:

Scroll down to the second post (my own), and there are five links there to tool-related posts. As far as materials go...well, obviously wood is a good place to start. It's highly subjective as to what you want to use. My STRONG suggestion is that you do some reading on the topic as to how to approach building a bass. I don't know what's available to you in Israel, but you might check out the following links:

There are others as well...
  5. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    for your first youll need:

Bandsaw, to cut your profiles and etc

router, to mill your pickup cavities electronic cavities and truss rod channel

router table to square your wood.
    lots of clamps, to clamp things

Idealy you should have:
    table saw

You may be able to get some of the milling done by someone in your area. when I was 14 I used to go to the local mill and they would square up my lumber and plane it for me for a small fee but that was 20 years ago.
    No hookas though youll need to be sober or youll cut off fingers
  6. Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    thanks pal

to the first and second respond
    i dont looking someone that give my a list of tool
    i research about the tools for 2 weeks
    everyone see to my something else
    so i wnat to know what the necessary tools for these job
    I'M confused becuse every man i ask say to my "buy these and that"
    so i want to know what you think that i should to buy

sorry about my spelling!
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Dear Hookha,

You will have all kinds of answers to your question. We can all tell you, and will tell you, to go and buy this or that. That is what you are asking for!

I suggest, that you begin with a search for...books!
    In every book you read, you will find a proposal on tools. If you compare them, you will find that some are common; these would be the basic set for you.
    And when you look at all suggestions, and follow the flow of production, you will learn a lot. From that, you can make yourself a picture of how you would like to work, and then you get the necessary tools!
    Remember that whatever answer anybody provides, here or in books, they are not you. You will, at the end of the day, use your imagination and your knowledge of yourself to make the decision.

Furhtermore, you do have to work on your English, to make sure to get the proper repsons.

Going back to my dictionary now...:bag:
  8. Yes, as stated above, start with a book or two. The book(s) will provide you with enough information to get you started.

Regarding the tools. Not everyone uses the same tools, due to a variety of obvious reasons, so I can't see how asking such a generic question will help you. Again, a good book on the topic will provide you with a lot of answers.

Personally, I think you need to think about what needs to be done to the wood in order to make a bass and then decide on the appropriate tools for you to get the job done (eg. affordability, multiple uses of a tool). For example, there are a few different tools that can be used to shape a neck and different people use different tools and techniques.

If you've been searching for 2 weeks, then you should have found at least one post on the minimum tools required (subjective) with some good information along with it. I know at least one exists because I've read it myself.
  9. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    This isn't personal to you Biagio but I always get irritated when I see these tools on a list of "must have" tool lists for a beginning builder. Whether you're on, mimf or here you always get those list. You'd think you need $4000 of tools to build a bass.

Fact is I build my basses with 3 power tools, a jigsaw, router, and drill. Up until 3 weeks ago I didn't own a drill press and my tuner holes always ended up perfect (contrary to what some might think) and I've never used a router table in my life. For the hand tools I own a couple of files, rasps and sandpaper.
  10. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Phil, I gotta agree with you there. IMHO, the single most important power tool for me has got to be a router. With it, and a table, you can shape bodies, necks, rout your electronics...there's not a lot in making a bass you CAN'T do with a router. Also, people have successfully built basses using nothing but hand tools. The "list" that seems to be popular these days is all fine and dandy, just be aware that most power tools listed are mainly to save time and effort in production of basses. If you're doing it as a hobby, there are no rules that say you MUST have any power tools at all! :)
  11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Okay, rather than buying a bunch of tools first and then seeing what you can do with them, decide on your approach and then consider what tools will be necessary to complete the job.

If you are going to use a 15" by 20" by 1 3/4" piece of wood ("blank") for your body, you've got to have a cutting tool to cut out your body shape. This could either be a hand tool (saw) or a power tool (jig saw, band saw, or other). At some point, you'll probably want to set pickups into the top of the body. If you're REALLY good, you could use hand tools to gouge the wood out, or your could use a router. If you're going to make a laminate neck (multiple slices of wood glued together), you'll need to make sure your wood is squared and flat. For my first bass, I had a guy joint and plane my strips of wood on his jointer and planer...the list keeps going.

Basically, when you ask the question the way I understood it, then I'm going to think back to all the tools that would have made my life easier while working on my stuff, because I don't have any idea on the details of what you're planning to do, other than you want to build a bass.

So, do a bit of planning on size, shape, materials, and construction (all of which the books can help you to do), and then ask some specific questions. For example: "I need to create the cavity to puut the electronics in. What tool do I use?" The answer would probably be "The easiest route would be to get a router with a flush-cutting bit and a bearing so that you can follow a template." Of course, that's just one possibility.
  12. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Wow, neat thread. It really does seem like the other 'tool threads' have had loooong lists of a couple grand's worth of tools. But only being sixteen and having modified a few basses as it is with only hand tools...I think I could probably do my first bass build with a router and a drill, for the most part. Anywho, best of luck, Hookha.

13. Biagio139

Biagio139 Dealer: Hipshot Products, Inc.

Dec 23, 2005
    Ithaca N.Y.
    Phil, Phil, Phil, geepers dont get irritated. Iam confused anyhow I listed two things a band saw and router, router table would help him square the wood. my other list would be for a small shop. when I first started 20 years ago I had a black and decker router and a 14 inch grizzly band saw well under the 4000 dollar point only about 400 dollars actually.
    I love ya Phil dont be mad at me
  14. Biz

Jan 11, 2006
    For the Poor man: Tools needed for a bolt on style
    I will repeat the same words as the others to help you believe that this is all that is needed.
    The wood store will fix the wood the way you want. So the tools you need at home would be simply a drill, jig saw, router.
    The reason I’m posting here now is to mention that routers are dangerous and you should learn first from someone experienced or you'll be a 3 finger bass player. The next thing I would like to say is make a body and buy a neck. Believe me making that body and putting a finish on it will take the beginner long enough. You will be playing it very soon.
    Making your own neck will take weeks or months of bad mistakes and you'll loose interest in your project.
    Practice later making your own neck with soft wood like popular wood that is easy to file and will only cost $5. I use a 12 inch rough wood file and then some 60 grit sand paper to see that it is right. Work on a few and try not to worry about the perfect neck shape, just practice on a few and it will come with time.
    Practice shaping the fret board, fret cutting, head stock shaping on the same piece of wood, and then do another. Don’t worry, the love of shaping the wood will help you do another and another till you feel like your ready to do the real thing.

I have posted this for hookha and all the others wanting to build their own. To give them the confidence they can do it themselves and you know, it just sounds better when you make it.

I was a piano builder first and in a conversation I mentioned to a co-worker I wanted to build my own Bass and he said: no way that I could do takes so much

Bill Biswell
    Professional Bass and Lead Guitar Builder, 26 yrs
  15. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I concur. I have access to my friend's woodshop, and he has every tool known to man, it seems. The ones we use the most? Router, sander (both drum and palm, not to mention by hand!), band saw, table saw, drill press. In that order, pretty much. I know that I could get my wood cut for me at the wood store, or from Larry at Gallery, but I buy mine in big old chunks, as I like processing it myself. I had my top wood resawed by a professional, and it was pricey, but worth it. For a beginner, I would not recommend going with a neck-through, as it is a lot harder to work with. I'd go for a bolt-on, with as little laminating involved as possible for a first project. Something along the lines of a simple P-Bass type instrument, until you get the hang of it. Make it out of relatively cheap wood, maple for the neck, poplar or alder or agathis for the body. Start off simple, it's only the first one of many. I have already started planning out my second from-scratch, and I haven't even finished the first one yet.

I must remind you, this art teaches you patience! Don't rush anything about it, you'll be sorry if you do!
  16. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Like I said, it's not personnal :D
  17. Hookha, if you give specific details about what task you want to do (eg. cut body shape, make cavities, shape body & neck), we can probably give you a better idea. However, I'm sure that even this kind of question has been answered in the forums.

Rather than just randomly listing tools, I think it would be more informative to provide a general list of tasks, then we can suggest tools that may be appropriate to complete them. But in saying this, it can still get out of hand.