Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tool's bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lovebown, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    What's the name of the bassist who played on Tool's Opiate & Undertow album?
    If I'm not totally wrong he left the band after Undertow (I think) and formed his own band.

He is a wicked bassist.

/lovebown

2. I think his name is Paul D'Amour.
    The bass tone on "Undertow" is one of my favorite recorded tones.

3. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    His name is Paul D'Amour and he rocked. Great tone inventive lines that really drive the songs. He fromed a band called Lusk but I've never heard anything more about them.

4. Listen, Tool is my favorite band at the moment, but im sorry... Paul D'amour is not a very good bassist. In fact he was kicked off for that reason. The bassist now (justin chancellor) is a wicked bassist and the band is far better off with him

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ugh.. I'm pretty sure he wasnt "kicked off" because he wasn't good enough??!!
    Although Justin chancellor is very good, I don't think his tone is as cool as Paul's...

I mean, for christ sake , just listen to the intro to "hush"

/lovebown

6. snippit

snippit

Mar 24, 2001
    No he definitely wasn't kicked off for not being good enough. I don't know where you read that because the FAQ says the band and he are still on good terms.

Justin is cool, different.. but still good. Personally I prefer his stuff but we all have our differing opinions. It should also be noted that quite a few songs off aenima were written with Paul still in the band.

7. Justin's tone is far different, but in my eyes a much better supplement to Adam Jones artificial harmonic guitar sound. It's more subtle, but a wonderful tone is certainly there. Just listen to "forty six and two" or "h". And how can you say that Tool's previous two albums (which are still amazing) are better than aenima?Aenima is just so much more of a well rounded musical cd.

8. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Paul D'Amour was certainly not kicked out! Just read the FAQ at toolshed.down.net. He left because he wanted to go in a different musical direction. And he certainly was a very good bass player. You have to really listen a lot of the cooler things he does are more subtle, like playing with the dynamics and what not but rest assured he had big effect on TOOL's sound. A lot of his basslines really drive the songs with the drums while the guitar and vocals kinda float on top.

As for their tones; I think both have killer tones. I like all the growl that Paul's has but Justin's is a bit deeper and phatter.

9. Justin Chancellor will be on the cover of the next BP, May 2001.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No, Paul D'Amour was not kicked out of Tool. He contributed a lot to the band with his bass lines. His leaving had nothing to do with him not being good enough. If I remember right, he left on his own to go down other avenues in music.

Justin Chancellor is also an excellent bassist. He has got a pretty cool tone and some interesting lines, too.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I guess I just basically repeated what Killer B just said. Sorry, I should have read ALL the replies before I opened my big mouth.

Later
    Ryan

12. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    The new Tool is so much better. Better musicianship and better songs in my opinion. I do like the old Tool, but I never payed much attention until Aenima. I started liking their stuff and didn't even know they switched Bass players! Good for them. Aenima is one of the coolest bass lines. It is so hard to play, but sounds so cool.